Travel and Signout

For safety reasons, it is important that Deerfield know where every student is. 

When leaving campus, students are required to fill out signout forms, located on DAinfo.

Signout Policies

Students leaving campus for any reason must complete an off-campus signout form on DAinfo. The Deerfield Academy campus includes the area bounded on the west by the Deerfield River, on the east by Routes 5 & 10, and extending north to Round Pond Road (the Large Loop) and south to Wells Cross Road. Non-employee private residences—even within these limits of campus—are considered “off campus” and require signout.

Travel on Pine Nook Road to the Rock, and travel to Richardson’s, Bittersweet Bakery & Café, and the Williams Sugar House via Wapping Road are considered “on-campus.”

For Employees

Employees who take students off campus for any reason must sign out those students using the DAinfo eSignout page, which can be found under “My Rosters.” Employees may find check-in procedures and the eSignout Log online (password required).

Dorm Sleepovers

Dormitory sleepovers require the completion of paper forms, to be posted in the guests’ and in the host’s dormitory. Faculty should report sleepovers using the Sleepover Reporting Form or to the SOC by phone at 413-772-9070.

Off Campus Signout

Day Trips

Complete the Off Campus Signout form on DAinfo whenever you travel off-campus for a day trip (for example, running errands, going to the movies, heading out to dinner, etc.).

College Visits

If you are making a college visit (day trip), approved through the College Visit form on DAinfo, you do not need to complete this form.

Overnight Trips

For overnight travel, use the Overnight Permission Form instead.

Request to Miss Classes

Students: If you plan to miss classes for a reason covered by our Request to Miss Classes policy, use this form on DAinfo. Approval may be granted by the Academic Affairs Office (reviews Pursuits of Excellence), the College Advising Office (reviews College Visits), or the Student Life Office (reviews Other Requests to Miss Classes).

Please note the Request to Miss Classes Form is not intended for medical absences or family emergencies. Any absence related to medical issues (such as doctor’s appointments, injury, surgery, or chronic illness) must be approved through the Health Center. Parents or guardians are asked to call the Health Center directly (413-774-1600) to discuss their child’s plans.  For emergencies (such as the passing of a family member) that will affect a student’s attendance, please call the Student Life Office (413-774-1452).

Students are permitted to miss a maximum of eight (8) combined class days for Pursuits of Excellence, College Visits or other reasons each academic year (no more than 6 days missed per term). Exceptions to the 8-day limit must be approved through the Academic Affairs Office. Requests must be received at least three (3) days prior to the event.

Any student requesting to miss class should make sure they are aware of the 20% Rule policy (found in the Student Handbook under the 20% Rule), and, if their request is approved, students should be sure to inform their teacher(s) of their upcoming absence(s) and arrange to make up missed work.

Overnight Permission

The Overnight Permission Form should be used by any student who wishes to leave campus for an overnight trip–including weekends. (Please note that for trips requiring classes to be missed, you must first have an approved “Request to Miss Classes” request on DAinfo.)

The process for Overnight form submission and approval is as follows:

  1. Complete the Overnight Permissions Form. Forms must be submitted no later than 10:15 pm on Wednesday–after which FOUR APs will be assigned.
  2. You will receive a confirmation on-screen.
  3. An email approving your request will be sent from the Student Life office (within 48 hours). If you do not receive an email, you should assume that your overnight is not approved.
  4. The approval email will contain an attachment which is your confirmation of approval for your overnight request. Print the confirmation of your approved overnight request.
  5. Please tape a copy of your confirmation to the door of your room; remove it when you return from your trip.

Contact the School Officer in Charge (SOC)

Students: This form is used to inform the SOC of unexpected changes in your weekend/overnight plans. For normal sign out and overnight permissions requests, use DAINFO.

For all other inquiries to Deerfield Academy; see our departmental contact information.

Students: This form is used to inform the SOC of unexpected changes in your weekend/overnight plans. For normal sign out and overnight permissions requests, use DAINFO.

For all other inquiries to Deerfield Academy; see our departmental contact information.

  • Not required, but helpful.

Vacation Travel

Charter Bus Service

The Student Life Office arranges charter buses for student travel on Thanksgiving Vacation, Winter Vacation, Long Winter Weekend, and Spring Vacation. To guarantee a seat, students are required to sign up online (students receive advance notice of the sign-up dates and the bus information). Students use their school account to purchase tickets. Please note that charter buses are NOT available at the beginning of school in September, at the end of school in May/June, or on Fall Family Weekend or Spring Family Weekend.

View the complete VACATION TRANSPORTATION information here. Buses depart according to the schedule at the beginning of vacations, and students are required back to campus by 7:30 pm from every vacation (with the exception of the Boston bus).

Round Trip charter bus transportation is available to and from: Bradley Airport (with a shuttle bus service at end of vacation); Darien, CT; and New York City and Boston.

Travel Forms

Travel forms are located on a student’s DAinfo page. The form becomes available just before vacations begin.

Other Travel Options

For information on public bus service, trains, and air transport, see Travel Information.

Charter Bus Signups

Please note: This bus/van service is available only on required day of departure or return.

Frequently Asked Questions

The DC/AHC selection process is now underway. Rising juniors and seniors have until April 2 to fill out an application; an email went out to these respective classes with instructions, and decisions will be announced in mid-May. Please email Dr. Melvoin if you have any questions.

Deerfield’s advisor feedback and request process has always taken place virtually, so we’ll undertake the process in the same manner this year. Advisor-related questions can be directed to Ms. Creagh or Dr. Melvoin.

The only document you will need to return will be your form I-20; please contact the Student Life Office with any visa-related questions.

Please contact with any visa-related questions.

All Student Council positions are elected yearly, and all students are eligible to run. Each class has multiple representatives, and students are also elected to be Student Council president, chair, post-graduate representative, and two day student representatives. A full list of current members is available on the Student Council website.

Deerfield students can leave campus during most weekends, provided that they submit the overnight permission form and their request is approved. Some weekends throughout the year are closed–including Commencement–and on these weekends, students may not leave campus. All closed weekends are marked on the Deerfield Academy calendar.

If you leave campus during the day for any reason, you must complete the off-campus signout form. If you would like to be off-campus for an overnight trip, including weekends, you must fill out the overnight permission form. If your request has been approved, you should print your confirmation and tape it to the door of your room.

For links to forms and a more detailed explanation of signout policies, visit our Travel and Signout page.

Transportation is provided to services at nearby faith communities. Jan Flaska, Dean of Spiritual and Ethical Life, can help make arrangements.

No, refrigerators and microwaves are not permitted in dorm rooms.

Every dorm room has a small closet or wardrobe, 80″ twin bed, bureau, desk and chair, mirror, wastebasket, overhead light, and carpeting.

The nearest airport is Bradley International Airport, located outside of Hartford, Connecticut, 55 miles south of Deerfield on I-91. Deerfield arranges transportation on charter buses to Bradley Airport during Thanksgiving vacation, winter vacation, long winter weekend, and spring vacation. As sign-up time approaches, students will receive email instructions on how to purchase tickets. There are also many limo, taxi, and shuttle services available that provide transport to the airport.

Contact Student Life

Mon-Fri, 8am-4pm

Main School Building, First Floor
PO Box 87
Deerfield, MA 01342