DORMITORIES

Barton

This boys dormitory is named for advertising great and congressman Bruce Barton, who is known for “outstanding services to America and to Deerfield Academy.” In the late 1920s, he began writing fundraising letters for the Academy. This campaign provided a generous base to Deerfield Academy’s foundation, and funded the construction of fourteen of the Academy’s buildings. Barton dorm was dedicated in 1962 and was paid for in part through donations from the class of 1935.

Bewkes

Bewkes House (formerly known as Davenport House and then Chapin House) was built in 1858 by Arthur W. Hoyt, who hoped to create a social center in Deerfield. The Academy purchased the house in 1926 from Alice G. Shumway, daughter of William Davenport. The building was moved from its original site in 1951 to make room for Scaife and was moved again in 1998 to its current location. Bewkes is a junior and senior boys’ dorm.

Denunzio

This boys dorm was built in 1989 on the site of the Old Barn. It was donated to the Academy by former Deerfield Trustee Ralph DeNunzio and his wife Jean, in honor of their three sons who attended Deerfield.

Dewey

This dorm is dedicated to Robert ’49 and Harriet Dewey in gratitude of their service to the Academy. Mr. Dewey served as the President of the Board of Trustees from 1995-2000. Completed in September 1948, Dewey houses the Academy Health Center and junior and senior boys.

Field

Named in honor of Henry A. Field, long time trustee and member of the class of 1887, Field is located adjacent to Historic Deerfield’s Old Burial Ground at the west end of campus. One of the “twin dormitories,” it was built in 1957 with McAlister and was modeled after the popular Colonial style of the time, which was also used to design Scaife, Mather, and Pocumtuck. Field is a boys’ dorm.

Harold Smith

This dorm was given to the Academy by the Winthrop and Margaret Smith Family Foundation, Mrs. Harold Webster Smith W’29, and Mr. and Mrs. James C. Smith ’67 in honor of Harold Webster Smith ’29. Despite its historic appearance, Harold Smith was actually built in 2002. It is a girls’ dorm.

John Louis

Built in conjunction with Louis Marx, this girls’ dorm is named after John J. Louis, Jr. ‘43 and opened in 1998.

John Williams

Built in 1760, this is the oldest dorm on campus and was the location of the original “Deerfield Door.” In 2002, during the construction of Harold Smith, the original door was removed to allow for its preservation and viewing in Old Deerfield, and an exact replica was crafted and installed in its place. John Williams is a boys’ dorm.

Johnson-Doubleday

“J-D” was dedicated in 1981. The west wing of the dorm was built through a gift from Nelson Doubleday Jr. ’51, the vice president and owner of the 1986 World Series champion New York Mets. Johnson-Doubleday houses ninth grade boys and girls.

Louis Marx

Built in conjunction with John Louis Dormitory, this boys’ dorm is named after Louis Marx, Jr. ‘49 and opened in 1998.

Mather

This dorm was built in 1953. Like its predecessors, Scaife and Pocumtuck, Mather fits in beautifully with the Colonial architecture of Old Deerfield. Located on Main Street, Mather is a girls’ dorm.

McAlister

Named for William H. McAlister, it was funded by the estate of his daughter, Amelie McAlister Upshur, who donated to many educational institutions as part of her will. This dorm was built in concert with Field in 1957. Constructed on the site of the old Ball House, “Mac” is a girls’ dorm.

O'Byrne Curtis

Dedicated to Margarita O’Byrne Curtis H’19 in the fall of 2019 for her service to the Academy. Built in 2012, this dorm houses junior and senior boys. An exciting feature of this building is the solar hot water system mounted on the south-facing roof.

Pocumtuck

Built on the site of the old hotel Pocumtuck House, “Poc” dormitory opened in 1956, one of the five Colonial Revival dorms built during the 1950s. A new addition was constructed in 2000. Located on Main Street, Pocumtuck is a girls’ dorm.

Rosenwald-Shumway

This dorm was a gift of John ’48 and Pat Rosenwald alongside a gift of Forrest ’45 and Patsy Shumway. Rosenwald-Shumway was built “to honor the academy people who made our half century association with the school so pleasurable.” Both halves of Rosenwald-Shumway were completed and opened in 1989. It is a girls’ dorm.

Scaife

This dorm was built in 1952, along with Pocumtuck and Mather, with an eye towards maintaining the architectural integrity of Historic Deerfield. Located on Main Street, Scaife is home to tenth grade boys.