Dear Deerfield Students,
Thanks to all of you for both your support for this year’s Martin Luther King Jr. Day and your patience during the planning process. I’m writing to share the logistical details of the next 24 hours.
To begin, please visit the following links to view your workshop assignments, workshop locations, and participant rosters.
- Tenth, eleventh, and twelfth grade Dignity Workshop locations
- Tenth, eleventh, and twelfth grade Elective Workshop Assignments and Location (updated)
- Ninth Grade Dignity Workshop Locations
A few other important reminders
- Dormitory check in for all students on Wednesday, January 18 is 9:45 pm.
- Please memorize your workshop locations before going to bed. I encourage you to write this information on your hand since the cellphone policy stands!
- All ninth grade students (with the exception of day students) must attend a special 40 minute video screening in the Garonzik Auditorium that begins at 7:45 pm this (Junary 18) evening. This screening is being hosted by Mr. Lyons and Ms. Brown, and is intended to prepare freshmen for their workshop with Carl Wilkens tomorrow morning.
- Upperclass students who will be participating in Mr Wilkens’ elective workshop are encouraged to attend this evening’s screening as well or watch this video on your own time before tomorrow morning.
- The attire for Martin Luther King Jr. Day is academic dress.
- Attendance will be taken at the Opening Session in the Hess Auditorium and at each workshop.
- Here again is the entire program schedule:
2023 Martin Luther King Jr. Day Program Schedule
8:30 am – 10:00 am Opening Program in Hess Auditorium featuring keynote speaker: Terrance Hayes
10:00 am – 10:15 am Break and Passing Period
10:15 am – 11:15 am
- OICL Dignity Workshops for 10th, 11th, & 12th Graders in assigned classrooms
- Rwanda’s Restorative Journey – Living Alongside Your Enemy with special guest Carl Wilkens for 9th Graders & Village Proctors in Garonzik Auditorium
11:25 am – 12:25 pm
- Elective Workshops for 10th, 11th & 12th Grade Students in assigned classrooms.
- OICL Dignity Workshop for 9th Graders Dignity Workshops in assigned classrooms.
12:40 am – 1:30 pm Sit-down Lunch and Debriefing in Advisory Groups
Terrance Hayes’s book for sale in Dining Hall Lobby
- DBSA is hosting an affinity meeting Thursday evening in the Acting Lab for students who self-identify as Black.
I look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow morning!