Consistent mask use is critical to protecting our community from COVID-19.
You are required to wear a mask at all times inside buildings—except when alone in a room or while eating in a dining hall. Masks are required on all Academy roads and walkways.
To start the year, masks will be required within dorm squads. If campus health indicators allow, the requirement for mask use within squads may be lifted.
Masks are not required when you are outside and able to remain at least six feet from others.
How many masks do I need?
- You will need one two-layered cloth face mask per day.
- Masks should be washed after each use.
- The Academy will provide three cloth masks. You and your family are responsible for any additional masks. We recommend at total of at least seven to allow for laundering.
What type of mask should I bring?
- Per CDC, masks must
- Be made of at least two layers of fabric.
- Fit snugly to you face covering your mouth and nose
- Bandanas, gaiters, and masks with valves are not permitted.
How do I put on my cloth face mask?
- Place the mask over your nose and mouth; secure the ties or elastics behind your ears so the mask fits snuggly to your face.
- After putting on your mask, wash your hands or use hand sanitizer as recommended.
How do I remove my cloth face mask?
- Remove your mask by the ties or elastics at your ears; try not to touch the front of the mask.
- Be careful not to touch your eyes, nose, and mouth when removing your mask; wash your hands immediately after removing.
- After taking off your mask, wash your hands or use hand sanitizer as recommended.
- If you’re temporarily removing your mask to eat, place it down on a napkin to avoid potential contamination of the table surface.
How should I wash my face mask?
- Use regular detergent (per its labelled instructions) in a washing machine with the warmest possible water.
- After loading the washer, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer or thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds.
What should I do if I touch my face with my mask on?
- Wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
Will wearing a cloth face mask protect me from COVID-19?
- Not necessarily, but it can help you avoid infecting others.
Does wearing a mask mean I can go to class, even if I have mild cold symptoms?
- Absolutely not. If you are sick or feel you are becoming ill, call the Health Center 413-774-1600 immediately.
Why shouldn’t I use a medical-grade surgical face mask, N-95, or other medical respirator?
- Medical-grade masks and respirators must be reserved for healthcare workers who are on the front lines of the fight against the coronavirus.
What if I have a health condition that makes it difficult to wear a mask?
- Health-based accommodations to the mask policy may be granted only through the Chen Center on a case-by-case basis.