This past weekend, fourteen Deerfield alums raced in the 55th Head of the Charles Regatta. The Head of the Charles Regatta is one of the most well known races in the rowing world, attracting 11,000 athletes rowing in over 1,900 boats in 61 events. We are proud to know so many Deerfield alumni have gone on to row in college, and be successful at the next level. Here’s the list of Deerfield alumni that raced this weekend, where they placed, as well as a little bit about them during their time at Deerfield:
Men’s Alumni 8+
- Sam Chapin/Chocolate Lab Boat Club – 27th. Sam is an English teacher and assistant rowing coach at Deerfield. He rowed for Williams College, captaining the team in his senior year.
Men’s Club 8+
- Freddie Johnson ‘17/Harvard University – 9th. While at Deerfield, Freddie earned a gold medal at the USRowing Youth National Championships in the Men’s 4+ in 2017, and finished with a bronze in 2016. He also won gold at the Club Nationals u19 4+ and silver at the u19 8+ in 2016.
- Will Sanford ‘17/Dartmouth College – 13th. During his time at Deerfield, his rowing team won NEIRA championships in his junior and senior year. He also was a member of the USRowing Youth National Championship that won gold in his senior year, following an undefeated season. He finished by winning the Coaches Award for his efforts.
- Nico Salazar ‘19/Dartmouth College – 13th. Nico’s team finished second as a team at the NEIRA Championships, as well as placing gold with his first boat for the sixth consecutive year in the 1V event.
Men’s Club 4+
- Cameron Snow ‘18/Bowdoin College – 32nd.
Men’s Champ 8+
- Henry Lowe ‘19/Dartmouth College – 16th. While at Deerfield, Henry was part of the US Youth National 4+ team that won gold in 2017 and 2018 with the first boat and captured NEIRA Championships.
- Vanja Obradovic ‘18/Princeton University – 17th. Obradovic placed fifth in the straight four at the 2017 U23 World Championships his junior year at Deefield. At the 2016 World Junior Championships he finished fourth and also won silver in the 2016 European Junior Championships. He also helped to win the 2016 National title in the straight four and quad.
- Gordon Johnson ‘17/Princeton University – 20th. Rowing for Deerfield, Gordon won a silver medal in the USA Junior Men’s 8+ in 2016 and then won gold in 2017. He also won bronze in 2015, leading Deerfield to three straight New England Championships. In his senior year, he also raced in the Prince Albert Challenge Cup at the 2017 Royal Henley Regatta.
Men’s Lightweight 4+
- Lachlan Cormie ‘18/University of Pennsylvania – 5th. At Deerfield, Lachlan was able to win the NEIRA’s, and come in second place at the NSRA’s. He competed in the Henley Royal Regatta Prince Elizabeth Challenge Cup in 2017. He also received the Most Improved oarsman Award. In his junior year, he was part of an undefeated season, won NEIRAs and NSRAs.
Men’s College 8+
- Luca Basile ‘17/Holy Cross – 4th. As a post-graduate student-athlete at Deerfield, he won gold at the USRowing Youth Nationals in 2017. He also rowed in the boat that advanced to the quarterfinals at the Royal Henley Regatta 2017 Prince Albert Cup.
- Oliver Diamond ‘18/Wesleyan University – 13th.
Women’s Lightweight 8+
- Bailyn Prichett ’19/ Georgetown – 3rd . While at DA, Bailyn’s G4+ four posted a 33-1 two-year regular season record, earn podium finishes the NEIRA Regatta, including an NEIRA Championship in 2017, and finish as the top scholastic boat in their event at USRowing Youth Nationals two years in a row (including fifth overall in 2018). She also captained the team for two years.
Women’s Club 8+
- Anna Scott ’18/ Yale – 2nd . Anna led Deerfield to three top three finishes at New England’s, including earning first place. The top finish at NEIRA’s qualified the boat for Nationals where she placed seventh in her senior campaign.
Women’s Club 4+
- Emmeline Flagg ’18/Bowdoin – 48th.
Congratulations to all of the Deerfield alumni and alumnae rowers and best of luck with your upcoming spring seasons!