Boys Hockey Earns 2nd Big Win in 3 Games

Last night at the Eaglebrook Rink, the boys hockey team netted 3-goals and shutout Kent to seal a 3-0 victory, the big win marked the team’s second win in three games. Thomas Zourikian opened the scoring for the Big Green netting a breakaway goal. Halfway through the second period, Noah de La Durantaye doubled the lead for the Big Green which was followed a minute later by Matty Miron’s insurance goal. Sophomore Jeff MacDonald earned the shutout for the Green and White.

Yesterday’s win marked the 9th time this season that the Big Green scored 3 or more goals in a game and the victory came on the heels of the team’s second shutout of the season when the Doors faced off against neighboring Williston on home ice last week in a Friday night match-up. The Deerfield student body packed the stands dressed in 80s attire to show their support and helped cheer the team to a 1-0 victory thanks to Milo DeFay’s lone goal and Thomas Gale’s 35-save game shutout.

As the winter sport’s season comes to a close, the Big Green will face off against Westminster in their final regular season contest this Saturday, February 24th at the Eaglebrook Rink. The team will look to continue their successful streak and avenge their January loss to the Black and Gold.

Tune in to watch Saturday’s game here.

Go Big Green!


Coach McVaugh’s Game Reports:

Wednesday, 2/21 vs. Kent: Win 3-0

Going into the final week, the message to the team was all about stepping up and taking advantage of our remaining time together. The seniors led the way, with great games from defensemen Tommy Craft, Jeff MacDonald, and Bret Pastor keeping the Kent offense at bay for much of the day. Sophomore Tyler McDermott turned away every shot he faced, looking calm and collected between the pipes for the Big Green. A trio of Canadian juniors powered the Deerfield offense as Tomas Zourikian, Noah de la Durantaye, and Matty Miron all were able to put the biscuit in the basket. A great team win for Deerfield as they head into the final game of the season against Westminster on Saturday.

Saturday, 2/17 @ Exeter: Loss 0-4

The day after an emotional Friday night win, the boys traveled to Exeter to take on the #5 team in New England. Deerfield came out firing, generating numerous grade-A scoring chances in the first period. Give credit to the Exeter netminder who turned aside every Deerfield shot, including some great chances from sophomore Keith Davenport and sophomore Connor Guest. Despite a great effort, luck was not on Deerfield’s side, and Exeter capitalized on their chances in the second period, finding the back of the net twice before heading into the final frame. The hosts added a pair of goals in the third period, and Deerfield settled for a split on the weekend against two tough opponents.

Friday, 2/16 vs. Williston: Win 1-0

After a rough stretch in their schedule, the Deerfield squad earned an impressive 1-0 victory against rival Williston on a raucous Friday night in the Eaglebrook barn. Junior Thomas Gale got the start in net for the Big Green, stopping all 35 Williston shots fired his way. It was a physical game from the start and the visiting squad had the better of the play for much of the first period. Perhaps drawing on the energy from the crowd, the Deerfield boys rebounded with a strong second period, killing off several penalties before senior Jeff MacDonald found fellow senior Milo DeFay streaking through the neutral zone for a breakaway. DeFay would make no mistake with the opportunity, burying the puck top cheddar and drawing a penalty at the same time. One goal was all the Deerfield net minder would need, and despite several furious Williston rallies, Gale shut the door and the boys escaped with a hard-fought 1-0 victory.