Deerfield Academy seeks an experienced Laboratory Manager to work during the academic year.
Reporting to the Academic Dean and working closely with the Chair of the Science and Computer Science Department the Laboratory Manager supports the laboratory-based learning of the Academy’s science program, by maintaining the laboratory space, monitoring and reconciling the department’s budget, preparing and concluding labs, and collaborating with teaching faculty to sustain the science learning at the Academy.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Catalog, inventory, update, and purchase all laboratory materials, including consumable reagents and items, as well as equipment and other capital expenditures
- Manage and monitor the Science Department budget status and expenditures
- Organize the set-up and clean up for all Chemistry, Biology, Environmental Science and Anatomy labs, to support science instruction
- Pretest and modify procedures to ensure smooth data collection for each lab
- Maintain a record of laboratory procedures in a central location
- Investigate and test new labs for better methods to introduce concepts to students
- Serve as the expert and source of information for all aspects of lab safety to faculty and students including training needs
- Maintain the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
- Manage the use and disposal of materials and waste products, in coordination with the Environmental Management Coordinator
- Supervise any employees or vendors to safely coordinate all tasks associated with the operations of the lab program
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications: Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in a Science related field, 3 – 5 years of laboratory experience, demonstrated knowledge of OSHA, lab safety, MSDS, and Globally Harmonized System of Classifications and Labeling (GHS) , be highly organized with exceptional attention to detail, possess the ability to work collaboratively in a team environment, the ability to plan, multi-task and prioritize work in fast-paced environment, accurately and efficiently, have strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills; demonstrated proficiency with MS Office Suite and a demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion and to serving the needs of a diverse community.
The successful candidate will receive a $1,000 sign-on bonus ($500 paid at time of hire and $500 paid at the end of 90 days of employment.
Click here to apply.