Soccer (Boys): Varsity vs. Brunswick (09/23/23 2:00 PM)

Event Details

After a tough loss at Suffield, Deerfield Boys Varsity Soccer looked to rebound against a well-coached and gritty Brunswick squad. Big Green came out of the gates playing well and generated several solid scoring chances early on in the match. Brunswick’s defense was up to the task and held Deerfield off the board early. The game remained scoreless until about 20 minutes left in the first half when a defensive miscue led to a goal from visiting Brunswick. It was a tough break for Deerfield who had held much of the possession to that point in the game. To Deerfield’s credit, we immediately turned the page and looked to attack and pull even. Just over two minutes later, Gavin Rigney played a beautiful one-touch ball in the midfield to Teddy Cyr, who then turned and played a great ball out wide to a cutting Owen Tymchuk. Owen took the pass in stride and played a cross on the ground to a far-post run from Yesung Lam. Yesung got a good shot off on net, leading to a rebound which was buried home by Teddy Cyr. It was a great response from Big Green after falling behind early. Deerfield gained some momentum and scored twice more before halftime. First, starting with some good quick ball movement in though the midfield from Stevie Walsh and Jeffry Kamil, and Cooper Johnson, the ball eventually found Barack Mwesigwa who wisely carried, drew his defender, and dished off to Owen Tymchuk. Owen used his space well and delivered a beautiful ball in the box to Stevie Walsh who finished a great header to make it   2-1 Deerfield. Big Green’s third goal came with just two minutes left in the first half on a great ball from GK Kai Darrell, flicked on by Stevie Walsh to a cutting Teddy Cyr who beat his defender to the end line and cut a ball back to a dangerous spot in the box. Jadin Smith was first on the ball and had his shot blocked before Stevie Walsh buried the rebound for his second of the game. In the second half, Deerfield again came out strong and had some good chances. It took all of seven minutes for Deerfield to strike again when Jonny Scagel delivered a beautifully struck corner kick to a cutting Gavin Rigney who elevated and buried a gorgeous header to make it 4-1 Deerfield. That’s how the game would ultimately finish after Brunswick had a late surge of offensive pressure. GK’s Kai Darrell and Marko Wuchenich both held Brunswick off the scoreboard for a great Deerfield win.