Deerfield concluded a successful, joyful season with a win on the road against the Williston Northampton School’s junior varsity team. With two of DA’s top-seeded players unable to make the trip, team stalwarts Kate Stenger and Megan Ng stepped up and used their smart decision-making and deep shots to deliver the wins that secured the victory. Valentina Williamson, recently voted “Most Improved Player” by her teammates, quickly adjusted to her opponents disarming serve and won easily in straight games. And the most gritty performance of the day was Lauren Stenger’s, who—after dropping the second and third games—managed to regain her focus and eliminate mental mistakes to pull out the win. All seven players showcased Deerfield’s talent, growth, and depth. Ninth months from now, the whole squad should make an impressive showing at JV tryouts. We can’t wait!
- Kaitlyn Kelly: L, 9-11, 10-12, 1-11
- Valentina Williamson: W, 14-12, 11-3, 11-6
- Marnie Todd: L, 11-9, 6-11, 9-11, 9-11
- Lauren Stenger: W, 12-10, 6-11, 2-11, 11-9, 11-4
- Lizzie Eudy: L, 6-11, 6-11, 5-11
- Kate Stenger: W, 11-5, 11-6, 11-5
- Megan Ng: W, 11-5, 11-3, 11-4