Fall 2020: Healthy Beginnings
As we enjoy the final weeks of summer, anticipation and excitement are growing for the beginning of the school year. We look forward to being back on Albany Road, reconnecting with old friends and meeting new ones; returning to our favorite places on campus and exploring new spaces. All the while keeping the school’s COVID health guidelines at the forefront of our minds to ensure the safety and health of all.
On behalf of the Deerfield Parents Network (DPN), I’d like to welcome you to the 2020-21 school year. To new families and students, I send a special welcome as you join our community! Each year brings new milestones, challenges and the opportunity to make life-long memories. New students may experience a range of emotions as they adjust to their new “home” at Deerfield. Returning students will also have to adjust to their more senior role in the campus community. With the support and care of proctors, advisors, faculty residents and teachers, each student will chart their own course, learn and grow this year.
As Deerfield parents and guardians, we are important members of the community. The DPN was formed to enhance our school community by building partnerships among parents and between the Academy and families through programs and activities. It is led by a steering committee of 28 members. This year’s DPN leaders are listed below.
Throughout the school year, I encourage you to look for ways to get involved. From afar, you can explore the website, read The Bulletin online daily as well as the student newspaper, The Scroll. You will also continue to receive a bi-weekly Families FYI electronic newsletter offering information on upcoming events, news, reminders and recent photos. You might even choose to join your student and read this summer’s required community book, Just Mercy, by Bryan Stevenson.
Looking ahead, it is unclear whether Massachusetts State health and travel guidelines will allow for Deerfield to host Fall Family Weekend in mid-October. If the Academy is in a position to safely host the Fall Family Weekend, I hope you will be able to join us. It is a unique opportunity to experience daily life on campus, attend your child’s classes and connect with teachers, advisors and other parents. You can also attend the DPN steering committee meeting, which is open to all parents. Look for more information in the weeks to come and, in the meantime, we hope you will mark your calendar for October 9-11.
As you begin packing and preparing for back-to-school and the year ahead, you may need quick access to helpful information on what to pack, important dates, staying in touch and more. I want to particularly draw your attention to the helpful resource of FAQs. Here are links directly to key information for parents:
- Healthy Deerfield: Key FAQs and links to important messages about the precautions the Academy has enacted.
- Back-to-School Forms: Information is provided on the DPN site; for personalized back-to-school forms, billing and One Card balances, you’ll need to visit DA Info.
- Pre-Arrival, Arrival & Drop off for Boarding Students, Opening Days: Updates from Dr. Austin can be found here.
- Important Dates, 2020-21: Key dates for school breaks and major events.
- Dress Code 2020-21: Here is an explanation of our current dress code.
- “Keep it Simple” offers seasoned parents’ advice for packing and move-in.
- Lodging and Dining in the local area as you plan for visits to campus.
- The Bulletin: provides daily campus information primarily for students and faculty, but often provides helpful information for parents, too.
- The Scroll: student newspaper published 2-3X per term. Parents can subscribe online and/or printed copies are available on campus.
- DA Info: this password protected site gives you access to your child’s class schedule, teachers, advisors, hall resident and grades (once available). It also gives you access to the family directory and to your students’ billing and OneCard (ID debit card for on-campus purchases) accounts.
- Last but not least, the DPN portion of the new Academy website and the bi-weekly Families FYI emails will provide up-to-date information for parents throughout the year.
If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me or any of the DPN leaders. Enjoy the rest of the summer and I look forward to seeing you on campus soon!
Elizabeth Darling P’15, ’16, ’22
Deerfield Parents Network
Steering Committee 2020-2021
|President||Elizabeth Darling, Greenwich, CT (George ’22)|
|VPs Nominating||Brooke Später, Topsfield, MA (Whitney ’21 and Tom ’23)
Oscar Anderson ‘88, New York, NY (Ismay ’22)
|VP Inclusion||Judith McKie, Brooklyn, NY (Hannah ’22)|
|VPs First Link||Vanessa Lewis, Bedford, NY (Charlie ’21)
Stefanie Grosse, San Francisco, CA (William ’22, Alexander ‘22)
Tracy Fauver, Bedford, NY (George ’22)
|VPs Communications||Ana Centola, New York, NY (Alexander ’21)
Carlos Fierro, New York, NY (Matthew ’22, Stella ‘23)
|VPs Campus Events||Tricia Stenger, Lafayette, CA (Kate ’22, Lauren ’22)
Libellule Sarachek, New York, NY (Achille ’21)
|Liz Anderson ‘94, Greenwich, CT (Greer ’22 and Stone ’23)
Rachel Baker, New Canaan, CT (Daly ’22, Maeve ’23)
Elizabeth Brennan, Chestnut Hill, MA (Annabelle ’23)
Kristen Brown, Dayton, OH (Joe ’23)
Terry Darling ‘87, Greenwich, CT (George ’22)
Stephanie Gallo, Modesto, CA (Amelia ’23)
Steve Harrick ’89, Menlo Park, CA (Thomas ’23)
Thomas Kainamura, Rocky Hill, CT (Max ’22)
Lisa Kittredge, Amherst, MA (Kylie ’22)
Colby McClure, Blufton, SC (Sloan ’23)
Pat Moriarty, Deerfield, MA (Morgan ’22) – Faculty Rep
Laura Patton, Houston, TX (John ’23)
Jennifer Roche, South Deerfield, MA (Hannah ‘21)
Fabiola Rolfe, Greenwich, CT (Isabella ’21, Alexander ’24)
Vanessa Willett, New York, NY (Jack ’23)
Tara Wuchenich, Santa Monica, CA (Max ’21)
|Trustee Liaison:||Diana Newton, Dallas, TX (Will ’22, Thayer ‘24)|