On behalf of the Deerfield Parents Network (DPN), I would like to welcome you to the 2022 – 23 school year. To new families and students, welcome to our community! We are thrilled to have you and cannot wait to get to know each of you. Every year brings new milestones, challenges, and the opportunity to make life-long memories. For incoming students, adjusting to their new “home” at Deerfield can be accompanied by a variety of emotions. Returning students will adjust to their more veteran roles in the campus community. You will all be supported by a caring community of proctors, advisors, faculty residents, and teachers, each here to encourage and help you at every turn.
As Deerfield parents and guardians, we are key members of the community. The DPN was established to enhance our school community by building partnerships among parents and between the Academy and families through programs and activities. It consists of a steering committee of 25-30 members, and subcommittees that focus on various aspects of school life.
Throughout the school year, I encourage you to look for ways to become involved. From a distance, you can explore Deerfield’s website and read the Students Bulletin online each day as well as the student newspaper, The Scroll. You will also continue to receive a bi-weekly Families FYI electronic newsletter offering information on upcoming events, news, reminders, and recent photos.
Looking ahead, I hope you will be able to join us for Deerfield’s Fall Family Weekend: October 14 – 17. It is a unique opportunity to experience daily life on campus, attend your child’s classes, and connect with teachers, advisors, and other parents. Please plan to attend the DPN Steering Committee meeting on Saturday, October 15, at 7:30 am in Studio One of the Athletics Complex, which is open to all parents. Look for more details about Fall Family Weekend in the coming weeks, and in the meantime, I hope you will mark your calendar for October 14 – 17.
As you begin packing and preparing for back-to-school and the year ahead, you may need quick access to helpful information on what to pack, important dates, staying in touch, and more. I want to draw your attention to the useful resource of FAQs particularly. Here are links directly to key information for parents:
- Back to School: Here is most of the information you will need about pre-arrival, arrival, and drop-off.
- Important Dates 2022-2023: Key dates for school breaks and significant events.
- “Keep it Simple” offers seasoned parents’ advice for packing and move-in.
- 2022-2023 Student Handbook: On page 21 of the student Handbook, you will find a helpful explanation of our current dress code; the Handbook also contains additional important information regarding “Rules and Expectations” for all students.
- Lodging and dining in the local area as you plan for campus visits.
- The Students Bulletin: provides daily campus information intended primarily for students but often provides helpful information for parents.
- The Scroll: student newspaper published two to three times each term. Parents can subscribe online, and printed copies are available on campus.
- DAinfo: this password-protected site gives you access to your child’s class schedule, teachers, advisors, hall residents, and grades (once available). It also gives you access to the family directory, your student’s billing, and OneCard (ID debit card for on-campus purchases) accounts.
- Finally, the DPN portion of the Academy website and the bi-weekly Families FYI emails will provide up-to-date information for parents throughout the year.
If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me or any of the DPN leaders. Enjoy these last few days of summer break, and I look forward to seeing you on campus soon!
Brooke Spater P’21,’23,’25