As we enjoy the final weeks of summer, anticipation and excitement are growing for the beginning of the school year. We look forward to being back on Albany Road, reconnecting with old friends and meeting new ones; returning to our favorite places on campus and exploring new spaces. All the while keeping the school’s COVID health guidelines at the forefront of our minds to ensure the safety and health of all.
On behalf of the Deerfield Parents Network (DPN), I’d like to welcome you to the 2021-22 school year. To new families and students, I send a special welcome as you join our community! Each year brings new milestones, challenges and the opportunity to make life-long memories. New students may experience a range of emotions as they adjust to their new “home” at Deerfield. Returning students will also have to adjust to their more senior role in the campus community. With the support and care of proctors, advisors, faculty residents and teachers, each student will chart their own course, learn, and grow this year.
As Deerfield parents and guardians, we are important members of the community. The DPN was formed to enhance our school community by building partnerships among parents and between the Academy and families through programs and activities. It is led by a steering committee of 25-30 members. This year’s DPN leaders are listed below.
Throughout the school year, I encourage you to look for ways to get involved. From afar, you can explore the website, read The Bulletin online daily as well as the student newspaper, The Scroll. You will also continue to receive a bi-weekly Families FYI electronic newsletter offering information on upcoming events, news, reminders and recent photos.
Looking ahead, I hope you will be able to join us for Deerfield’s Fall Family Weekend on October 22-24. It is a unique opportunity to experience daily life on campus, attend your child’s classes and connect with teachers, advisors and other parents. Please plan to attend the DPN steering committee meeting on Saturday, October 23, from 7:30 – 9 am in Studio One of the Athletics Complex, which is open to all parents. Look for more information in the weeks to come and, in the meantime, we hope you will mark your calendar for October 22-24.
As you begin packing and preparing for back-to-school and the year ahead, you may need quick access to helpful information on what to pack, important dates, staying in touch and more. I want to particularly draw your attention to the helpful resource of FAQs. Here are links directly to key information for parents:
- Back-to-School: Here is most of the information you will need about pre-arrival, arrival, and drop-off information.
- Important Dates, 2021-22: Key dates for school breaks and major events.
- “Keep it Simple” offers seasoned parents’ advice for packing and move-in.
- Dress Code 2021-22: Here is an explanation of our current dress code.
- Lodging and Dining in the local area as you plan for visits to campus.
- The Daily Bulletin: provides daily campus information intended primarily for students, but often provides helpful information for parents, too.
- The Scroll: student newspaper published two to three times each term. Parents can subscribe online and/or printed copies are available on campus.
- DA Info: this password-protected site gives you access to your child’s class schedule, teachers, advisors, hall resident and grades (once available). It also gives you access to the family directory and to your students’ billing and OneCard (ID debit card for on-campus purchases) accounts.
- Last but not least, the DPN portion of the Academy website and the bi-weekly Families FYI emails will provide up-to-date information for parents throughout the year.
If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me or any of the DPN leaders. Enjoy the rest of the summer and I look forward to seeing you on campus soon!
Elizabeth Darling P’15, ’16, ’22