The Experimentory at Deerfield Academy summer program unleashes creative and agile thinking across intellectual boundaries. As we enter our third year of summer programming, the Experimentory will enroll a 2017 class of approximately 60 rising 7th and 8th grade students who desire to spend four weeks exploring new ideas in an interdisciplinary setting. The Experimentory aims to create a boarding school community experience, in which each student is provided with a safe and comfortable environment where they can learn and play while pushing themselves as creators and innovators.
More information about The Experimentory can be found on our website: www.deerfield.edu/experimentory
The Experimentory at Deerfield Academy is looking for multiple Activities Proctors for the summer of 2017. Daily responsibilities include:
- The Experimentory creates the intense yet fun community experience that typifies boarding school life. Proctors are expected to contribute to this atmosphere by shaping the out of classroom experience, eating meals with students, and holding students and other staff to a high standard.
- Proctors will manage residential life as a team under the guidance of a Dorm Head. They will live in the dorms with students and other staff. They will be provided with their own dorm room, but will share hall space and bathroom facilities with the students. Proctors should expect to be on duty three nights a week or more during the program.
- Proctors lead afternoon co-curricular activities, organize student free time, plan evening and weekend on-campus activities, and chaperone all off-campus activities and excursions.
- Proctors will attend pre-program staff training. Once the program has started, they will attend and assist with weekly All Program meetings and regular staff meetings.
- At the program’s close, Proctors communicate student progress to parents through evaluative comments.
- Activities Proctors receive highly competitive compensation, room and board, and mentorship through our Experimentory Community Life program.
Strong candidates are current college sophomores, juniors, and seniors who are pursuing a degree in education or youth services and are looking for summer experience working with middle school students.
Like any middle school summer program, the Experimentory is an intense four weeks with many responsibilities. Strong candidates embrace these experiences and maintain a healthy life balance resulting in a rewarding summer. Candidates should express a sense of creativity and the desire to work and live with middle school adolescents. Additional key characteristics include: enthusiasm; energy; a strong work ethic; the ability to thrive in a lively, fast paced work environment; a sense of humor; and the ability to work as part of a team.
All Proctors must be over 18 years of age by July 5, 2017.
Please click here to apply online.
Deerfield Academy does not discriminate against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, marital status, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, age, disability, status as a veteran or being a member of the Reserves or National Guard, or any other classification protected under state or federal law.