Deerfield Academy seeks innovative and energetic recent graduates to fill the position of Teaching Fellow, a full-time, year-round position available for June 16, 2019 start. We’re looking for candidates who love and excel at their subjects, care deeply about students, work collaboratively with others, and are deeply committed to developing an inclusive community. As a private boarding school, Deerfield offers an outstanding teaching environment, great benefits, and students who are eager to learn. Deerfield actively seeks to increase the diversity of its faculty.
- Deerfield Academy seeks innovative and energetic people to fill the position of Teaching Fellow for the 2019-2021 years.
- Every year, Deerfield hires 2-4 Teaching Fellowsacross several departments. Teaching Fellows will work with an experienced mentor, teach several classes, and participate in the rich and varied life of a boarding school while pursuing a two-year masters degree with a cohort of peers through the University of Pennsylvania. Strong candidates for the Teaching Fellow position will have demonstrated scholarship and initiative, will enjoy working with bright and motivated adolescents, and will thrive in an environment that asks for community engagement.
- For more information on the Deerfield Teaching Fellows program, click here.
- For more information on the UPenn Independent School Teaching Residency program, click here.
- Hiring decisions are usually made from mid-fall through mid-May.
Apply here for the Teaching Fellow position.
Deerfield offers an unmatched environment for teaching. Near the Five Colleges (Amherst, Smith, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire, and UMass Amherst), Deerfield’s 300-acre campus hosts exceptional facilities that enable powerful teaching both in and out of the classroom. Our students are engaging and excited to learn—and they are willing to work hard at their studies. Outside the classroom, our community is focused on active and ethical living.
Our teachers are committed to ongoing renewal. We seek candidates who are committed to their own professional growth, who are eager to work with colleagues in a productive manner towards departmental goals, and who can foster critical thinking, empathy, and determination in our students. As a boarding school, our faculty teach, mentor, and model—in the classroom, in the dorm, at the dining hall, and on the playing field.
Diversity is essential to Deerfield’s success. Diverse perspectives within our school population fuel creative and innovative thinking, build empathy, and provide varied skills and experiences from which the entire community can benefit. Deerfield actively seeks candidates who are members of or support traditionally underrepresented groups—especially in terms of race, sexual orientation, and educational background.
Deerfield Academy is a private, coeducational boarding school located in western Massachusetts with 643 students and 134 faculty. The Academy was founded in 1797 and has no religious affiliation.
Deerfield Academy is committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity Employment and nondiscrimination against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, marital status, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, age, disability, status as a veteran or being a member of the Reserves or National Guard, or any other classification protected under state or federal law.