Deerfield Academy seeks a dynamic and experienced full-time Teacher of Spanish to start August 15, 2020. The primary responsibilities will be to teach four classes of beginning to advanced Spanish, oversee a dorm, coach two co-curricular activities and lead trips abroad. We’re looking for a teacher who exhibits excellence in the classroom, encourages students’ development as informed and ethical citizens of the world, and is interested in working collaboratively with colleagues. Deerfield Academy teachers enjoy an outstanding work environment and excellent benefits, and engage with students who are eager to learn. Deerfield actively seeks to increase the diversity of its faculty and develop an inclusive community; interested candidates should be enthusiastic about working with students both in and outside of the classroom.
Deerfield offers an unmatched environment for teaching. Near the Five Colleges (Amherst, Smith, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire, and UMass Amherst), Deerfield’s 300-acre campus hosts exceptional facilities that enable powerful teaching both in and out of the classroom. Our students are engaging and excited to learn—and they are willing to work hard at their studies. Outside the classroom, our community is focused on active and ethical living.
Our teachers are committed to ongoing renewal. We seek candidates who are committed to their own professional growth, who are eager to work with colleagues in a productive manner towards departmental goals, and who can foster critical thinking, empathy, and determination in our students. As a boarding school, our faculty teach, mentor, and model—in the classroom, in the dorm, at the dining hall, on the playing field, and on the stage.
Diversity is essential to Deerfield’s success. Diverse perspectives within our school population fuel creative and innovative thinking, build empathy and consideration, and provide varied skills and experiences from which the entire community can benefit. Deerfield actively seeks candidates who are members of or support traditionally underrepresented groups—especially in terms of race, sexual orientation, religious, ethnic and socioeconomic background.
- The primary classroom responsibility will be to teach the various levels of Spanish from novice to post-AP.
- The teacher will also be excepted to routinely work collaboratively on curriculum development.
- Outside of the classroom, the teacher will supervise co-curricular activities (e.g. varsity or sub-varsity teams, community service activities, arts, clubs, publications, etc.).
- Other responsibilities include those that are normally part of a boarding school commitment: dormitory association, dining hall duties, committee work, and other routine duties.
- Three years of experience teaching Spanish at the high school or college level.
- A master’s degree is preferred.
- Interest in and demonstrated skill working with adolescents is
- The initiative and energy to thrive in a lively and fast-paced residential academic community.
- The ability and desire to lead trips to Spanish-speaking countries during school vacation time.
- A sense of humor, humility, and the ability to work as part of a team.
- A commitment to an inclusive community.
Click here to apply for the Teacher of Spanish position.
Deerfield Academy is a private, coeducational boarding school located in western Massachusetts with 650 students and 140 faculty. The Academy was founded in 1797 and has no religious affiliation.
Deerfield Academy is committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity Employment and nondiscrimination against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, marital status, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, age, disability, status as a veteran or being a member of the Reserves or National Guard, or any other classification protected under state or federal law.