Deerfield Academy seeks a dynamic and experienced Teacher of Computer Science to start on August 15, 2020. We’re looking for a teacher who exhibits excellence in the classroom, encourages students’ development as informed and ethical citizens of the world, and is interested in working collaboratively with colleagues. Deerfield Academy teachers enjoy an outstanding work environment and excellent benefits, and engage with students who are eager to learn. As a private boarding school, Deerfield actively seeks to increase the diversity of its faculty and develop an inclusive community; interested candidates should be enthusiastic about living in close proximity to teenagers and working with students both in and outside of the classroom.
Deerfield offers an unmatched environment for teaching. Near the Five Colleges (Amherst, Smith, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire, and UMass Amherst), Deerfield’s 300-acre campus hosts exceptional facilities that enable powerful teaching both in and out of the classroom. Our students are engaging and excited to learn—and they are willing to work hard at their studies. Outside the classroom, our community is focused on active and ethical living.
Our teachers are committed to ongoing renewal. We seek candidates who are committed to their own professional growth, who are eager to work with colleagues in a productive manner towards departmental goals, and who can foster critical thinking, empathy, and determination in our students. As a boarding school, our faculty teach, mentor, and model—in the classroom, in the dorm, at the dining hall, and on the playing field.
Diversity is essential to Deerfield’s success. Diverse perspectives within our school population fuel creative and innovative thinking, build empathy and consideration, and provide varied skills and experiences from which the entire community can benefit. Deerfield actively seeks candidates who are members of or support traditionally underrepresented groups—especially in terms of race, sexual orientation, and educational background.
ABOUT THIS POSITION:
- The primary classroom responsibility is to teach AP and Advanced Computer Science. These project-based courses teach programming in several languages – including Java and Objective C, as well as problem solving, algorithm development, data structures, programming robots and other devices, digital logic, and related topics.
- Outside of the classroom, teachers will supervise co-curricular activities (e.g. varsity or sub-varsity teams, community service activities, clubs, publications, etc.).
- Other responsibilities include those that are normally part of a boarding school commitment: dormitory association, dining hall duties, committee work, and other routine duties.
- Prior teaching experience in Computer Science is required.
- A postgraduate degree in Computer Science or Engineering is preferred.
- Interest in and demonstrated skill working with adolescents is essential.
- The interest, initiative, and energy to thrive in a lively and fast-paced residential academic community.
- A sense of humor, humility, and the ability to work as part of a team.
- A commitment to an inclusive community.
Apply here for the Teacher of Computer Science position.
Deerfield Academy is a private, coeducational boarding school located in western Massachusetts with 650 students and 130 faculty. The Academy was founded in 1797 and has no religious affiliation.
Deerfield Academy is committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity Employment and nondiscrimination against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, marital status, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, age, disability, status as a veteran or being a member of the Reserves or National Guard, or any other classification protected under state or federal law.