The Experimentory at Deerfield Academy summer program inspires creativity, fosters character, and challenges thinking while providing a fun-filled Deerfield experience. As we enter our fifth year of summer programming, the Experimentory will enroll a 2019 class of approximately 80-150 current 6th,7th, and 8th grade students who desire to spend two or four weeks exploring new ideas in a boarding school setting. The Experimentory aims to create a community experience in which each student is provided with a safe and comfortable environment where they can learn and play while pushing themselves as creators and innovators.
Assistants work from July 5, 2019 – August 5, 2019
Students arrive on July 8, 2019 and depart on August 4, 2019
More information about The Experimentory can be found on our website: www.deerfield.edu/experimentory
The Experimentory at Deerfield Academy is looking for seven Summer Residential Teaching Assistants for the summer of 2019. Responsibilities include:
- Familiarize yourself with the course topics and material prior to the start of the program.
- Work closely with an assigned Experimentory Teacher as they teach an engaging, highly interactive, hands-on course of their design. The specifics of each assistant’s classroom assistance will vary to reflect the teacher’s vision, the assistant’s strengths, and, most of all, the students’ needs. Class assistance may include preparing class materials, assisting/overseeing student project groups, offering constructive input and feedback, working with specific students, classroom behavior discipline, organizing the classroom workspace, cleaning up at the end of the day/session/program, and other duties as assigned.
- Supervise extra student work times as needed.
- Collaborate with the Head of Community Life, Activity Assistants, and the Head of Residential Life to create, run, and supervise weekend free times, activity times, and special events.
- Live in the dorm acting as a responsible, mature presence and monitoring the Experimentory students throughout the program.
- Provide a safe, nurturing living space for students while establishing a strong community between students and staff.
- Assist the Head of Residential Life in the implementation of a Communications and Leadership class.
- Chaperone field trips.
- Attend meals and lead or co-lead sit-down tables of students.
- Assist with any moment-to-moment issues that arise outside of the classroom in the residential life aspects of the program.
- Know and enforce the rules of the program responding to rule breaking and following up with the Assistant Director to maximize safety.
- Work closely with faculty and administration in developing trust and open communication in responding effectively to dorm and campus concerns.
- Act as a role model for the students at all times demonstrating respect, honesty, and concern for others. Your actions and attitudes should provide students with an environment that is safe and comfortable for them to learn and play in while still pushing the boundaries of ideas and success.
- Maintain contact with the Assistant Director on any issues, concerns, or successes that occur.
- Accept feedback and instruction from the Head of Residential Life, Head of Community Life, and Assistant Director.
- Participation in Faculty/Staff training prior to The Experimentory.
Skills and Qualifications:
Strong candidates are:
- Recent high school graduates and/or current undergrad college students
- Candidates must be over 18 years of age prior to the start of the program
- Required to sleep in Academy provided dorm room housing for the duration of the program
- Must have experience with adolescents with preference given to candidates who can demonstrate success in interacting and relating well to adolescents in middle school, both domestic and international
- Interest in gaining classroom and/or boarding school is strongly preferred
- Strong collaboration, interpersonal, and organizational skills, with a strong attention to detail
- Desire to expand their personal skills and knowledge while promoting innovative ideas to students
- Ability to take initiative and to multi-task independently and effectively
- Ability to handle confidential information
- Ability to make productive and responsible decisions when supervisors are not present
- Must be effective communicators, have good listening skills, and know how and when to involve others in giving or getting help
Please click here to apply.
Deerfield Academy does not discriminate against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, marital status, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, age, disability, status as a veteran or being a member of the Reserves or National Guard, or any other classification protected under state or federal law.