Deerfield Academy seeks a dynamic and experienced Orchestra and Chamber Music Director to start on August 15, 2017. We are looking for a director who sets standards of excellence for our orchestra and chamber groups, cares deeply about the welfare of our students, works collaboratively with colleagues, and is deeply committed to developing an inclusive community. As a private boarding school, Deerfield actively seeks to increase the diversity of its faculty. We also offer an outstanding working environment and excellent benefits.
Deerfield offers an unmatched environment for teaching. Near the Five Colleges (Amherst, Smith, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire, and UMass Amherst), Deerfield’s 300-acre campus hosts exceptional facilities that enable powerful teaching both in and out of the classroom. Our students are engaging and excited to learn—and they are willing to work hard at their studies. Outside the classroom, our community is focused on active and ethical living.
Our teachers are committed to ongoing renewal. We seek candidates who are committed to their own professional growth, who are eager to work with colleagues in a productive manner towards departmental goals, and who can foster critical thinking, empathy, and determination in our students. As a boarding school, our faculty teach, mentor, and model—in the classroom, in the dorm, at the dining hall, and on the playing field.
Diversity is essential to Deerfield’s success. Diverse perspectives within our school population fuel creative and innovative thinking, build empathy and consideration, and provide varied skills and experiences from which the entire community can benefit. Deerfield actively seeks candidates who are members of or support traditionally underrepresented groups—especially in terms of race, sexual orientation, religious, ethnic and socioeconomic background.
ABOUT THIS POSITION:
- The primary responsibility is to direct the orchestra and the chamber music groups, teach a music class, meet and correspond with admissions applicants, coordinate and chaperone our students in their participation the District and All-State auditions and Festivals, and support the chorus as an accompanist.
- Other responsibilities include those that are normally part of a boarding school commitment: dormitory association, dining hall duties, committee work, and other routine duties.
- A minimum of five years of experience conducting and teaching music at the high school or college level. The ability to help with choral music will also be valued.
- A post-graduate degree in music is preferred.
- Interest in and demonstrated skill working with adolescents is essential.
- The interest, initiative, and energy to thrive in a lively and fast-paced residential academic community.
- A sense of humor, humility, and the ability to work as part of a team.
- A commitment to an inclusive community.
Apply here for the Orchestra and Chamber Music Director position.
Deerfield Academy is a private, coeducational boarding school located in western Massachusetts with 650 students and 130 faculty. The Academy was founded in 1797 and has no religious affiliation.
The school is committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity Employment and nondiscrimination against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, marital status, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, age, disability, status as a veteran or being a member of the Reserves or National Guard, or any other classification protected under state or federal law.