The Experimentory at Deerfield Academy summer program inspires creativity, fosters character, and challenges thinking while providing a fun-filled Deerfield experience. As we enter our sixth year of summer programming, the Experimentory will enroll a 2020 class of approximately 80-150 current 6th,7th, and 8th grade students who desire to spend two or four weeks exploring new ideas in a boarding school setting. The Experimentory aims to create a community experience in which each student is provided with a safe and comfortable environment where they can learn and play while pushing themselves as creators and innovators.
Teaching Assistants work from July 5 – August 2, 2020
Students arrive on July 7, 2020 and depart on August 2, 2020
More information about The Experimentory can be found on our website: www.deerfield.edu/experimentory
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Experimentory at Deerfield Academy is looking for several Summer Residential Teaching Assistants for the summer of 2020.
- Responsibilities include: Reporting to the Experimentory at Deerfield Academy Assistant Director for Teaching and Learning, the Experimentory at Deerfield Academy Summer Residential Teaching Assistant will provide teaching assistance, supervision, and mentorship for the students selected for The Experimentory at Deerfield Academy 2020; work closely with an assigned Experimentory Teacher as they teach an engaging, highly interactive, hands-on course of their design – class assistance may include preparing class materials, assisting/overseeing student project groups, offering constructive input and feedback, working with specific students, classroom behavior discipline, organizing the classroom workspace, cleaning up at the end of the day/session/program, and other duties as assigned; supervise extra student work times as needed; collaborate with the Director of Student Activities and Assistants to create, run, and supervise two weeks of co-curricular times; live in the dorm acting as a responsible, mature presence and monitoring the Experimentory students throughout the program; provide a safe, nurturing living space for students while establishing a strong community between students and staff; assist the Assistant Director for Student Programs in the implementation of a Leadership & Communications class; collaborate with the Assistant Director for Residential Life and Assistants to cover dorm duty, implement activities, and lead meetings in the dorm; chaperone field trips; attend meals and lead or co-lead sit-down tables of students; assist with any moment-to-moment issues that arise outside of the classroom in the residential life aspects of the program; know and enforce the rules of the program responding to rule breaking and following up with the Leadership Team to maximize safety; work closely with faculty and administration in developing trust and open communication in responding effectively to dorm and campus concerns; and act as a role model for the students at all times demonstrating respect, honesty, and concern for others. Your actions and attitudes should provide students with an environment that is safe and comfortable for them to learn and play in while still pushing the boundaries of ideas and success.
- Recent high school graduates and/or current undergrad college students
- Candidates must be over 18 years of age prior to the start of the program
- Required to sleep in Academy provided dorm room housing for the duration of the program
- Must have experience with adolescents with preference given to candidates who can demonstrate success in interacting and relating well to adolescents in middle school, both domestic and international
- Interest in gaining classroom and/or boarding school experience is strongly preferred
- Strong collaboration, interpersonal, and organizational skills, with a strong attention to detail
- Desire to expand their personal skills and knowledge while promoting innovative ideas to students
- Ability to take initiative and to multi-task independently and effectively
- Ability to handle confidential information
- Ability to make productive and responsible decisions when supervisors are not present
- Must be effective communicators, have good listening skills, and know how and when to involve others in giving or getting help
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion and to serving the needs of a diverse community
Click here to apply online.
Deerfield Academy does not discriminate against any individual on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, age, disability, status as a veteran or being a member of the Reserves or National Guard, or any other classification protected under state or federal law.