Reporting to the Experimentory at Deerfield Academy Director, the Experimentory at Deerfield Academy Teaching Assistant will provide teaching, supervision, and mentorship for the students selected for The Experimentory: PERISCOPE at Deerfield Academy 2021. The Experimentory: PERISCOPE is an intense 3-week virtual program designed to give students a taste of Deerfield Academy from wherever they are in the world while encouraging their creativity and pushing intellectual boundaries. This position is expected to work from the start of Faculty/Staff training on approximately June 28, 2021 through one day after the end of the program on July 23, 2021. All faculty and staff must also be available to work for a full day on the following specific dates.
June 28-30, 2021- Training
July 23, 2021- Closing Day
July 5 – 23, 2021
More information about The Experimentory: PERISCOPE, please visit our website: https://deerfield.edu/summer-programs/experimentory/periscope
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Lead and facilitate two groups of students through our Leadership in Community portion of the program. Leadership in Community is a small group experience where students will take a deep dive into building their leadership and communication, engage in experiential group activities, practice public speaking, and create artifacts to show their growth through the program.
- Meet 1:1 each week with students in your small groups to check on their progress and discuss their personal and educational goals for the future.
- Work closely with an assigned teaching faculty as they teach an engaging, highly interactive, hands-on course of their design. Class assistance may include preparing class materials, assisting/overseeing student project groups, offering constructive input and feedback, and working with specific students.
- Provide students and families with comments at the end of the program to maximize student growth.
- Attend virtual “sit down meals” and lead or co-lead conversations with a group of students.
- Attend school meetings once a week during the program
- Know and enforce the rules of the program responding to rule breaking and following up with the Director to maximize safety.
- Work closely with faculty and administration in developing trust and open communication in responding effectively to concerns.
- Act as a role model for the students at all times demonstrating respect, honesty, and concern for others. Your actions and attitudes should provide students with an environment that is safe and comfortable for them to learn and play in while still pushing the boundaries of ideas and success.
- Maintain contact with the Director on any issues, concerns, or successes that occur.
- Participation in Faculty/Staff training prior to The Experimentory.
Recent high school or undergrad college students
- Candidates must be over 18 years of age prior to the start of the program
- Must have experience with adolescents with preference given to candidates who can demonstrate success in interacting and relating well to adolescents in middle school, both domestic and international
- Interest in gaining classroom and/or boarding school experience is strongly preferred
- Strong collaboration, interpersonal, and organizational skills, with a strong attention to detail
- Desire to expand their personal skills and knowledge while promoting innovative ideas to students
- Ability to take initiative and to multi-task independently and effectively
- Ability to handle confidential information
- Ability to make productive and responsible decisions when supervisors are not present
- Must be effective communicators, have good listening skills, and know how and when to involve others in giving or getting help
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion and to serving the needs of a diverse community
- Ability to be flexible in scheduling meetings with students to find reasonable times that accommodates different time zones
- Comfort with teaching virtually and operating a variety of different learning management software platforms
- Quiet environment where you can engage with students without distractions
- Access to consistent and reliable internet capable of performing the duties of the job.
Please click here to apply