Deerfield Academy seeks a Teacher of Mathematics to start on August 17, 2022. We are looking for a teacher who exhibits excellence in the classroom, encourages student inquiry and discussion, encourages students’ development as informed and ethical citizens of the world, and enjoys working collaboratively with colleagues. Deerfield actively seeks to increase the diversity of its faculty and develop an inclusive community. Candidates should be enthusiastic about living in close proximity to teenagers and working with students both in and outside of the classroom.
Deerfield offers an unmatched environment for teaching. Near the Five Colleges (Amherst, Smith, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire, and UMass Amherst), Deerfield’s 300-acre campus hosts exceptional facilities that enable powerful teaching both in and out of the classroom. Our students are engaging and excited to learn—and they are willing to work hard at their studies. Our teachers enjoy an outstanding work environment and excellent benefits.
Our teachers are committed to ongoing renewal. We seek candidates who are committed to their own professional growth, who are eager to work with colleagues in a productive manner towards departmental goals, and who can foster critical thinking, empathy, and determination in our students. As a boarding school, our faculty teach, mentor, and model—in the classroom, in the dorm, at the dining hall, and on the playing field.
Diversity is essential to Deerfield’s success. Diverse perspectives within our school population fuel creative and innovative thinking, build empathy and consideration, and provide varied skills and experiences from which the entire community can benefit. Deerfield actively seeks candidates who are members of or support traditionally underrepresented groups—especially in terms of race, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic background.
ABOUT THIS POSITION:
- The primary responsibility will be teaching a variety of courses at different grade levels ranging from Algebra I to Statistics and Multivariable Calculus; versatility and openness to teaching assignments is key. Our teachers frequently have opportunities to collaborate on existing multi-section courses and to develop more specialized courses in their areas of interest and expertise.
- Outside of the classroom, teachers will supervise co-curricular activities (e.g. varsity or sub-varsity teams, community service activities, clubs, publications, etc.).
- Other responsibilities include those that are normally part of a boarding school commitment: dormitory residency or association, advising, dining hall duties, committee work, and other routine duties.
- Demonstrated teaching experience within our current spectrum of courses
- A master’s degree in Mathematics (or similar course of study) is preferred
- Interest in and demonstrated skill working with adolescents.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for experimentation with new pedagogical approaches
- The energy to thrive in a lively and fast-paced residential academic community
- A sense of humor, humility, and the ability to work as part of a team
- A commitment to building and sustaining an inclusive community
To apply for the Teacher of Mathematics, please click HERE.