Deerfield Academy seeks a Teacher of Chemistry and Biology to start on August 17, 2022. We are looking for a teacher who exhibits excellence in the classroom, cares deeply about the welfare of our students, and is interested in working collaboratively with colleagues. Deerfield teachers enjoy an outstanding work environment and excellent benefits, and engage with students who are eager to learn. Deerfield actively seeks to increase the diversity of its faculty and develop an inclusive community. Interested candidates should be enthusiastic about living in close proximity to teenagers and working with students both in and outside of the classroom.
Deerfield offers an unmatched environment for teaching. Near the Five Colleges (Amherst, Smith, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire College, and UMass Amherst), Deerfield’s 300-acre campus hosts exceptional facilities that enable powerful teaching both in and out of the classroom. Our students are engaging and excited to learn—and they are willing to work hard at their studies. Outside the classroom, our community is focused on active and ethical living.
Our teachers are committed to ongoing renewal. We seek candidates who are genuinely committed to their own growth, who are eager to work with colleagues to review the curriculum and programs we offer, and who can foster critical thinking, empathy, and determination in our students. As a boarding school, our faculty teach, mentor, and model in the classroom, in the dorm, at the dining hall, and in co-curricular activities.
Diversity is essential to Deerfield’s success. Diverse perspectives within our school population fuel creative and innovative thinking, build empathy and consideration, and provide varied skills and experiences from which the entire community can benefit. Deerfield actively seeks candidates who are members of or support traditionally underrepresented groups—especially in terms of race, sexual orientation, and educational background.
ABOUT THIS POSITION:
- The primary responsibility is to teach all levels of chemistry and biology, with a preference for someone who can also teach introductory level physics.
- Outside of the classroom, faculty members generally supervise multiple co-curricular activities (varsity or sub-varsity athletics teams, community service activities, clubs, publications, etc.).
- Other responsibilities include those that are normally part of a boarding school commitment: dormitory residency or association, advising, dining hall duties, committee work, and other routine duties.
- Experience teaching chemistry and biology in some setting.
- A master’s degree in a relevant field is preferred.
- Interest in and demonstrated skill working with adolescents.
- Demonstrated multicultural competency, the ability to build strong relationships with students from a variety of backgrounds, and a commitment to helping build an inclusive community.
- The energy to thrive in a lively and fast-paced residential academic community.
- A sense of humor, humility, and the ability to work as part of a team.