Deerfield Academy is seeking an experienced Sous Chef to join our dynamic team in the Dining Hall. Reporting to the Head Chef, the Evening Sous Chef is responsible for planning and directing food preparation for evening meals in the dining hall and catered events.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Preparing and cooking various dishes including meats, vegetables, starches, soups, and other items for service at both sit-down and cafeteria-style meals.
- Ensure high-quality food production and meeting meal service time deadlines
- Collaborate with and Assist Head Chef to Supervise and delegate responsibilities to Cooks and Food Service Workers, including ensuring adequate staff coverage
- Completing timely and accurate requisitions for food and supplies necessary for food preparation
- Using, cleaning, and maintaining commercial kitchen equipment including ovens, steamers, kettles, ranges, fryers, mixers, and slicers.
- Set up and maintain various food stations, buffets, and beverage areas. Keep areas clean and stocked with all necessary items.
- Provide excellent customer service to all guests in the dining hall.
- Assumes the role of Head Chef in their absence.
- Completion of 12th grade or equivalent, Associate’s Degree in Culinary Arts, Food Service Management, Hospitality, or related field preferred;
- 3-5 years in food service, food preparation, sanitation, and safety practices in a commercial kitchen.; recipe and menu development and proper methods of cooking various food items;
- Supervisory experience in a food service environment;
- Ability to meet schedules and timelines;
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; Ability to communicate and work cooperatively with others and the ability to understand hazards and follow safety procedures when using chemicals and equipment;
- Demonstrated experience with MS Office Suite;
ServSafe certification required
Interested in learning more about working in the Deerfield Academy Dining Hall? Watch this behind-the-scenes video with Joe Ferrer, our Head Chef.
The successful candidate will receive a $1,000 sign-on bonus ($500 paid at time of hire and $500 paid at the end of 90 days of employment
Click here to apply.