Deerfield Academy seeks an experienced Director of Dance Program. Start date to be on/before July 1, 2024.
Reporting to the Chair of the Visual and Performing Arts Department and the Dean of Faculty for the academic program and to the Director of Co-Curriculars for after school activities, the Director of Dance teaches dance, directs and administers the dance ensembles, and works collaboratively with the other performing arts teachers and instructors to offer a dance program that is characterized by excellence and high levels of student participation.
- Teaching and choreographing all levels of dance in an engaging and professional manner, successfully imparting knowledge and encouraging independent learning;
- Coordinating and directing rehearsals and performances of dance ensembles through the academic year;
- Scheduling and marketing all dance concerts in coordination with the other performing arts program directors;
- Supporting the efforts of the Admission Office to attract and yield the best possible dance candidates to the school;
- Coordinating and supervising guest choreographers, teachers and performers to provide enriching experiences for the dance program and the Deerfield community;
- Supervising the private and semi-private dance coaching program;
- Collaborating with administrators as necessary to hire, train, and supervise adjunct dance instructors and resolving concerns and/or performance issues;
- Curating and monitoring web presence related to the dance program;
- Supervising co-curricular dance during the week, and occasionally special events or rehearsals on weekends;
- Managing the operating budget for the dance program and anticipating program needs and funding.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree with appropriate advanced dance training; 3-5 years of teaching a variety of dance styles and running a complex dance program; the capacity to seek excellence on behalf of the dance program, within the context of the larger Academy; excellent communication skills; high level of patience and diplomacy; excellent office, computer and data-entry skills and organizational skills; the ability to multi-task effectively; demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion and to serving the needs of a diverse community; detail-oriented; ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
Deerfield offers a generous benefit package including health, dental, retirement, and paid time off. This role may be accompanied with housing, contingent on additional responsibilities, including: residential-life, advisory, and sit-down meal duties.