Deerfield Academy announces a search for an Associate Director of the Center for Service and Global Citizenship to start as soon as possible or Fall 2023. Deerfield’s Center for Service and Global Citizenship (CSGC) strives to prepare student leaders for a rapidly changing world that requires global understanding, environmental stewardship, and dedication to service. The Associate Director would join a dynamic and interdisciplinary team working collaboratively to design and deliver high impact experiential education programming with a focus on sustainability education, service and community engagement, and global education. We’re looking for someone who cares deeply about student development in these areas, works effectively with colleagues, is committed to developing an inclusive community, and driven to effect positive change through creative, collaborative and practical problem solving.
Deerfield offers an unmatched environment for growing professionally. As colleagues, we enjoy supporting each other and improving our craft as educators. Near the Five Colleges (Amherst, Smith, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire College, and UMass Amherst), Deerfield’s 300-acre campus hosts exceptional facilities that enable dynamic teaching both in and out of the classroom. Our students are engaging and excited to learn—and they are willing to work hard at their studies. Outside the classroom, they find ways to contribute to the community and enjoy themselves.
Our teachers are committed to ongoing renewal. We seek candidates who are genuinely committed to their own growth, who are eager to work with colleagues to review the programs we offer, and who can foster critical thinking, empathy, and determination in our students. As a boarding school, our faculty teach, mentor, and model—in the classroom, in the dorm, at the dining hall, on the fields, and in spaces for the arts.
Diversity is essential to Deerfield’s success. Deerfield actively seeks to increase the diversity of its faculty. Diverse perspectives within our school population fuel creative and innovative thinking, build empathy and consideration, and provide varied skills and experiences from which the entire community can benefit. Deerfield actively seeks candidates who are members of or support traditionally underrepresented groups—especially in terms of race, sexual orientation, religious, ethnic and socioeconomic background.
ABOUT THIS POSITION:
- Collaborate with a dynamic CSGC team to maintain current programs and design new opportunities to develop student leadership, global engagement, environmental stewardship, and a dedication to service.
- Manage service programming for students, deepening connections with community partners while ensuring high impact student learning and community engagement;
- Oversee extracurricular efforts to engage students with topics of sustainability and environmental stewardship.
- Mentor student leaders in the fields of sustainability, global studies, and community service in 1-on-1 and group sessions.
- Help execute off-campus travel and global education program planning and implementation.
- Support faculty interested in integrating experiential education, global citizenship, sustainability or service into their classes, co-curriculars, and corridors.
- Carry out the regular duties normally associated with faculty: teaching one class, coaching, and supervising corridors, dining hall tables and weekend activities.
- Masters degree preferred
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
- Knowledge and skill in experiential education, sustainability education, global education, service learning and/or student leadership development.
- The ability to lead international travel with groups of students
- Strong organizational skills and experience with project management
Click here to apply for this position.