Reporting to the Director of Alumni Relations, the Assistant Director for Young Alumni and Events collaborates with Deerfield colleagues and alumni volunteers to plan and execute programs and services that meaningfully engage alumni with Deerfield and with each other. The Assistant Director plays a strategic role in working with current students, helping prepare them to become young alumni.
Young Alumni Engagement
- Develop and execute year-round programs and services responsive to the needs and interests of alumni from graduation through the 20th Reunion, in close collaboration with Annual Fund colleagues.
- Engage and mentor young alumni volunteers in planning, hosting, and running events for their peers.
- Recruit young alumni volunteers to return to campus to participate in programming for students (e.g. annual Pathways event).
- Collaborate with Annual Fund staff in planning Class Reunions
- In collaboration with Annual Fund colleagues, annually recruit, select and train a diverse group of current student Advancement Ambassadors to represent Deerfield as needed for Alumni Relations events, and for hosting Advancement guests on campus.
- Ensure that the Advancement Ambassadors have ample opportunities to gain leadership experience.
- Work with Advancement Ambassadors and senior class leaders to engage class in Senior Gift fundraising effort and to educate them on resources that will be available to them as alumni.
- In collaboration with institutional research staff, develop best practices for obtaining address, identity, and other information from seniors before they graduate.
- Assume responsibility for certain on- and off-campus events (which may vary from year to year). Examples include (but are not limited to): donor stewardship events; regional all-call alumni and parent gatherings; Fall and Spring Family Weekends; Choate Day; Commencement; presentation of alumni awards; etc.
- Develop program, schedule, and detailed run-of-show for all assigned events, including clear timelines and delineation of responsibilities. For on-campus events, collaborate closely with Events Manager on planning and logistics.
- Work closely with Advancement colleagues to coordinate head of school and/or board members’ participation.
- Secure off-campus venues as needed, negotiating and overseeing contracts, liaising with hosts, managing event logistics, and keeping each event within its budget parameters.
- Oversee accuracy of data base extracts for invitation lists.
- Oversee timely development and distribution of invitations and program materials, virtual and print, in close collaboration with Communications Office.
- Work closely with RSVP & Digital Services Coordinator to build and monitor event web pages and registration processes.
- Serve as on-site event manager as needed.
- Travel 15-20 days per year (approximately 8% overnight travel).
- Ensure that virtual access to special events is part of all program planning (when possible and appropriate).
- Work with alumni volunteers to develop and produce virtual gatherings and programs to meet the expressed needs and interests of classes or other groups of alumni.
Qualifications should include: Bachelor’s degree; 1 – 3 years of experience in Alumni Relations or similar work-related industry; excellent verbal and written communication and organizational skills; ability to manage and motivate volunteers; proficiency with MS Office Suite, integrated databases, email marketing programs, and willingness to learn specialized software for scheduling, project management and event management; ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team; a high level of integrity and a strong work ethic; ability and willingness to travel and to work occasional weekends and evenings; ability to manage, and sensitivity to, highly confidential information and a demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion and to serving the needs of a diverse community.
Sign on Bonus – The successful candidate will receive a $1,000 sign-on bonus ($500 paid at the time of hire and $500 at the end of 90 days.)
Click here to apply.