About the DPN
The Deerfield Parents Network (DPN) is an organization aimed at building partnerships among Deerfield parents, and between parents and the Academy. Schools like Deerfield no longer serve “in the place of parents,” but rather “along side of parents.” The goal of the Parents Network is to improve the Deerfield experience for all students and their families through several initiatives.
The DPN’s signature program is the First Link, which organizes contacts between current Deerfield parents and the families of newly-enrolled students each spring. Experienced parents offer words of welcome and share their knowledge of the workings of the school. The First Link program also encourages and helps organize gatherings of current and incoming families as one step to ease the transition to campus life.
The DPN provides parent-to-parent content for the school’s bi-weekly Parents FYI e-newsletters throughout the year. These newsletters are a great vehicle for sharing information and inviting informed parent involvement in the life of the Deerfield community. DPN articles have included parent perspectives on the DA experience, tips on dealing with common challenges, and information that helps parents understand the array of supportive services at the Academy. Parent suggestions on topics of interest and parent perspective pieces are welcomed.
The Parents Network also coordinates with student initiatives to serve the needs of the surrounding community and has sponsored campus beautification projects, with the help of parent volunteers, during Parents Weekends.
If you would like to get involved in any of our programs, just ask! We’d welcome your participation.
2018-2019 Deerfield Parents Network Leaders
Julie Halloran, Darien, CT (Christina ’20)
Serena Bowman, Darien, CT (Katherine ’19)
Jen Vogt, Corpus Christi, TX (Whitney ’20)
Thai Thayumanavan, Amherst, MA (Seth ’20)
VPs First Link:
Paula Pink, New York, NY (Ollie ’20)
Sharmila Muratoti, Amherst, MA (Seth ’20)
Vanessa Lewis, Bedford, NY (Charlie ’21)
Carson Seeligson, Houston, TX (Addie ’20)
Ana Centola, New York, NY (Alexander ’21)
VPs Campus Events:
Kelly Shuhda, San Francisco, CA (Lilly ’19)
Stephani Clough, La Jolla, CA (Maddie ’20, Morgan ’20)
- Dan Anderson, Darien, CT (Arden ’21)
- Vivienne Baker, Atlanta, GA (Alexia ’19)
- Carol Bonnie, San Francisco, CA (Henry ’20)
- Terry Darling ‘87, Greenwich, CT (George ’22)
- Myriam (Pita) De La Vega, El Paso, TX (Camila ’20)
- Vidya Kamalapur, Natchez, MS (Sai ’19, Sami ’21)
- Lourdes Fanjul, Palm Beach, FL (Peps ’20)
- Bob Howe, Deerfield, MA (Erin ’20, Cammy ’22, Kelly ’22)
- Meg & George Knight ‘85, New Haven, CT (Grace ’20)
- Alexander Makridis, Athens, Greece (Michael ’19)
- Pamela & Robert Menafee, Dayton, OH (Vera Grace ’20)
- Jennifer Roche, South Deerfield, MA (Maggie ’19, Hannah ’21)
- Libellule Sarachek, New York, NY (Achille ’21)
- Tricia Stenger, Lafayette, CA (Grace ’19, Kate ’22, Lauren ’22)
- Elizabeth Weymouth, New York, NY (Carter ’20)
Trustee Liaison: Mark Rockefeller ’85, New York, NY (Teddy ’21)