As we enjoy the final weeks of summer, anticipation and excitement are growing for the beginning of the school year. We look forward to being back on Albany Road, reconnecting with old friends and meeting new ones, returning to our favorite places on campus, and exploring new buildings and spaces.
On behalf of the Deerfield Parents Network (DPN), I’d like to welcome you to the 2018-19 year! To new families and students, we send a special welcome as you join our community! Each year brings new milestones, challenges, and the opportunity to make life-long memories. New students may experience a range of emotions as they adjust to their new “home” at Deerfield. Returning students will also have to adjust to their more senior role in the campus community. With the support and care of proctors, advisors, faculty residents, and teachers, each student will chart their own course, learn and grow this year.
As Deerfield parents and guardians, we are important members of the community. The DPN was formed to enhance our school community by building partnerships among parents and between the Academy and families through programs and activities. It is led by a steering committee of 28 members, including an executive committee of eight. This year’s leaders are listed below.
Throughout the school year, I encourage you to look for ways to get involved. From afar, you can explore the website, read The Bulletin online daily, as well as reading the student newspaper, The Scroll. You’ll also receive a bi-weekly Families FYI electronic newsletter offering information on upcoming events, news, reminders, and recent photos. You might even choose to join your student and read this summer’s required community book, The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Moshi Hamid.
Looking ahead, we hope you can attend the Fall Family Weekend in mid-October. It is a unique opportunity to experience daily life on campus, attend your child’s classes and connect with teachers, advisors, and other parents. You can also attend the DPN steering committee meeting, which is open to all parents. Look for more information in the weeks to come and, in the meantime, we hope you will mark your calendar for October 12-14.
As you begin preparing for back-to-school and the year ahead, you may need quick access to helpful information on what to pack, important dates, how to stay in touch, and more. Here are links directly to key information for parents:
- Detailed Opening Days Schedule 2018 and streamlined version with events just for new parents: Opening Days for New Parents
- Important Dates, 2018-19: key dates for school breaks and major events
- Dress Code, Fall 2018
- “Keep it Simple”: advice from seasoned parents for packing and move-in
- Transportation to/from Campus and Charter Bus 2018-19 information: note that charter buses are available for most vacation breaks and students sign-up via a link in The Bulletin prior to breaks (click charter bus link for details).
- Lodging and Dining in the local area as you plan for Fall Family Weekend or visits to campus.
- The Bulletin: provides daily campus information primarily for students and employees, but often provides helpful information for parents, too.
- The Scroll: student newspaper published two – three times per term. Parents can subscribe online and/or printed copies are available on campus.
- DAinfo: this password-protected site gives you access to your child’s class schedule, teachers, advisors, hall resident, and grades (when available). It also gives you access to the family directory and to your students’ billing and OneCard (ID/debit card for on-campus purchases) accounts.
- Fall Family Weekend 2018: preliminary schedule of events with more information and RSVP to come in September!
If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me (firstname.lastname@example.org) or any of the DPN leaders. Enjoy the rest of the summer and we look forward to seeing you on campus soon!
Julie Halloran P’17, ’20
2018-2019 Deerfield Parents Network Leaders
Julie Halloran, Darien, CT (Christina ’20)
Serena Bowman, Darien, CT (Katherine ’19)
Jen Vogt, Corpus Christi, TX (Whitney ’20)
Thai Thayumanavan, Amherst, MA (Seth ’20)
VPs First Link
Paula Pink, New York, NY (Ollie ’20)
Sharmila Muratoti, Amherst, MA (Seth ’20)
Vanessa Lewis, Bedford, NY (Charlie ’21)
Carson Seeligson, Houston, TX (Addie ’20)
Ana Centola, New York, NY (Alexander ’21)
VPs Campus Events
Kelly Shuhda, San Francisco, CA (Lilly ’19)
Stephani Clough, La Jolla, CA (Maddie ’20, Morgan ’20)
- Dan Anderson, Darien, CT (Arden ’21)
- Vivienne Baker, Atlanta, GA (Alexia ’19)
- Carol Bonnie, San Francisco, CA (Henry ’20)
- Terry Darling ‘87, Greenwich, CT (George ’22)
- Myriam (Pita) De La Vega, El Paso, TX (Camila ’20)
- Vidya Kamalapur, Natchez, MS (Sai ’19, Sami ’21)
- Lourdes Fanjul, Palm Beach, FL (Peps ’20)
- Bob Howe, Deerfield, MA (Erin ’20, Cammy ’22, Kelly ’22)
- Meg & George Knight ‘85, New Haven, CT (Grace ’20)
- Alexander Makridis, Athens, Greece (Michael ’19)
- Pamela & Robert Menafee, Dayton, OH (Vera Grace ’20)
- Jennifer Roche, South Deerfield, MA (Maggie ’19, Hannah ’21)
- Libellule Sarachek, New York, NY (Achille ’21)
- Tricia Stenger, Lafayette, CA (Grace ’19, Kate ’22, Lauren ’22)
- Elizabeth Weymouth, New York, NY (Carter ’20)
Trustee Liaison: Mark Rockefeller ’85, New York, NY (Teddy ’21)
Please note: Your comments will be displayed on this page after they are approved.