A Parents’ Guide to Local Food and Dining
Looking for a great place to take a group of DA students to dinner or a quiet spot for you and your spouse to enjoy a meal? Maybe you need to pick up food for a team gathering or just need a cup of coffee? Here is an “insider’s guide” to food and dining options near the Academy.
Starting closest to campus, you’ll find the following within walking distance of campus:
- Champney’s Restaurant and Tavern (81 Old Main Street) is located at the Deerfield Inn and is a perennial DA parent favorite for breakfast, lunch, dinner or drinks.
- Richardson’s Candy Kitchen (500 Greenfield Road) offers chocolate, candy and ice cream and is the place to satisfy your sweet tooth!
- Savages Market (470 Greenfield Road) is a small deli and market on the main road to campus.
- Williams Farm Sugar House (491 Greenfield Road) is a maple syrup mecca with its working sugarhouse and restaurant, which is open only in sugar season (Feb-Mar, check website for exact dates each year). You won’t want to miss it!
For breakfast and morning coffee, you might try:
- Brass Buckle (Greenfield, 204 Main Street) is great for breakfast and lunch with fresh, healthy southern and tex-mex comfort food.
- With closest Starbucks in Amherst and Northampton, coffee lovers will want to check out these two spots in Greenfield:
- Greenfield Coffee (1 Bank Row)
- Shelburne Falls Coffee Roasters (100 Federal Street)
In addition to the restaurants above, here are a few more local lunch options:
- Green Fields Market (Greenfield, 144 Main Street) is in the center of town and offers organic produce, natural groceries and a full service deli and bakery.
- Hillside Dairy & Creamery (South Deerfield, 20 Elm Street)
- KD’s Tasty Eats & Treats (Deerfield, 222 Greenfield Road)
For dinner, there is a wide variety of options within 20 minutes of campus and we’ve listed many below. An asterisk (*) indicates that a restaurant can accommodate large groups.
- The Alvah Stone (Montague, 440 Greenfield Road) serves American fare and is set in the historic Montague Mill building. Returning families may know the location as home to now closed Montague Night Kitchen.
- Blue Heron Restaurant (Sunderland, 112 North Main Street) is a small, upscale restaurant set in the Old Sunderland Town Hall and specializing in globally inspired farm-to-table dishes.
- *Champney’s Restaurant and Tavern at Deerfield Inn – see above.
- *Chandler’s Restaurant (South Deerfield, 25 Greenfield Road) – Located at Yankee Candle Village, Chandler’s serves traditional New England fare.
- *The Farm Table at Kringle Candle (Bernardston, 219 South Street) is an upscale, farm-to-table restaurant with fireside dining. It is well worth the 20 minute drive from campus.
- *Goten of Japan (Sunderland, 104 Old Amherst Road) – This popular sushi and hibachi restaurant is great for large groups of all ages.
- Hope & Olive (Greenfield, 44 Hope Street) is a small, local favorite with “everyday specials” featuring local fare for lunch/brunch and dinner.
- Magpie (Greenfield, 21 Bank Row) is a sister restaurant to Hope & Olive offering casual pizza and pasta.
- Mesa Verde (Greenfield, 10 Fiske Avenue) is a local burrito bar serving fresh Mexican fare.
- MRKT Restaurant (South Deerfield, 6 Elm Street) offers fresh made-to-order farm-to-table dining in a quiet atmosphere.
- Thai Blue Ginger (Greenfield, 298 Main Street) serves fresh, authentic thai fare.
If you are willing to travel a bit further to Amherst, Hadley or Northampton, you’ll find even more great dining options.
Need Take Out or Delivery?
Ask any DA student about take out and delivery options and these are among the favorites for meals post-game, dorm gatherings and other events.
- China Gourmet (Greenfield, 78 Mohawk Trail)
- Domino’s (Greenfield, 368 Federal Street)
- Goodie’s Pizza (Greenfield, 256 Federal Street)
- Thai Blue Ginger (Greenfield, 298 Main Street)
- Village Pizza (Greenfield, 42 Bank Row)
- For sandwich platters:
- D’Angelos Sandwich Shop (Greenfield, 68 Mohawk Trail)
- Panera Bread (closest store is Hadley, 351 Russell Street)
Last, but not least, the closest large grocery store is the Big Y supermarket, only 10 minutes away from DA in the Mohawk Mall Shopping Center (237 Mohawk Trail, Greenfield).
Please note: Your comments will be displayed on this page after they are approved.