Academic Dean

  • How are students placed in the appropriate level of math and language classes?

    168 people found this helpful

    Before they enter Deerfield, all new students are required to take a math placement test to determine an appropriate class. Students who have already taken a language they wish to continue studying at Deerfield will take a placement test to determine what level class they should take. If the placement in either department is deemed inappropriate after the student arrives, then the section teacher may suggest a change of level. Students may also request such a change and should consult with their teacher and their academic advisor before contacting the Office of the Academic Dean.

  • When do students typically study abroad?

    44 people found this helpful

    Study abroad is available to all students from their sophomore to senior years, although typically students who choose to go abroad will do so during their junior year.

  • Does Deerfield have an honor roll?

    28 people found this helpful

    In order to garner Honors distinction a student must have a cumulative term average above 90.0%. High Honors requires an average of 93.0% or above. Exemplary students with a grade point average of 92.0 or higher may qualify for admission to the Cum Laude Society, a national honor society. For more about grading and the honor roll, please visit the Grading & Assessment Page.

  • Does Deerfield offer AP and accelerated courses?

    23 people found this helpful

    Because of its commitment to rigorous academics, Deerfield offers a wide range of accelerated and Advanced Placement courses. All of Deerfield’s classes are appropriately challenging, but AP and accelerated courses provide an extra challenge for ambitious students. The course catalog offers a full listing of the Academy’s academic offerings.

  • What role do advisors play in students’ educational experience?

    19 people found this helpful

    All students are assigned a faculty advisor at the beginning of their time at Deerfield. After their first year students may choose a new advisor, or continue with their original one, depending on the relationships they have developed with Deerfield’s faculty. Advisors are responsible for submitting course requests and writing an advisor report every term. They are available for any questions a student may have and are involved in every major academic or athletic decision a student makes while at Deerfield. In addition, faculty eat lunch with their advisees every Thursday and may schedule outside events for their advisees. Advisors are a key component of the Deerfield experience, as they provide guidance and friendship to students throughout their time at Deerfield.

  • What is the Pursuit of Excellence Policy?

    13 people found this helpful

    The Pursuit of Excellence Policy states that students may miss up to five class days a year if an unusual and extraordinary opportunity arises, including opportunities in a variety of academic, athletic, and artistic fields. The Office of the Academic Dean determines the legitimacy of pursuit of excellence requests on a case-by-case basis. Any request to miss classes should be directed through the Request to Miss Classes Form.

  • What study abroad options does Deerfield offer?

    10 people found this helpful

    Deerfield has a wide net of international associations, and therefore has the ability to offer a broad spectrum of study abroad opportunities. Semesters abroad in Jordan, Costa Rica, and the Bahamas are highlights of Deerfield’s international programs, which also include Round Square service trips, a variety of School Year Abroad opportunities, exchange programs, and faculty-led trips to places such as the Dominican Republic, Tanzania, Colombia and China.

  • What are Deerfield’s graduation requirements?

    6 people found this helpful

    Deerfield believes in a diverse education and therefore requires completion of a wide range of classes before students are allowed to graduate. Students should be aware of Deerfield’s full graduation requirements while registering for classes. Academic advisors and the Office of the Academic Dean are also available to discuss these requirements.

  • Does studying abroad set students back academically?

    6 people found this helpful

    Deerfield’s study abroad partner schools offer a comparable set of courses, so students can fulfill Academy requirements with little or no penalty to their academic progress. All students who are thinking about studying abroad should meet with Director of Studies Lydia Hemphill for assistance in planning their study abroad experience.

  • Does Deerfield offer on-site testing such as SATs and AP Exams?

    4 people found this helpful

    On-site testing is available for most SAT, AP, and ACT tests. Students must register for SATs through the College Board website;  ACT through ACT website; and AP exams via the Testing Coordinator. Tests not offered on-site, may be taken at a testing center in their area. Students are responsible for their own transportation.

  • How do I request a copy of my official Deerfield transcript?

    2 people found this helpful

    Alumni can request their transcripts through the Alumni section of the website or by clicking here.

    Students can request their transcript via the Forms link on the Daily Bulletin or by clicking here.

  • How do I request a course change?

    2 people found this helpful

    If at any time after submitting your course requests you wish to make a change, we ask that you first consult with your advisor. You should then fill out the online course change request form with your request for courses to add and courses to drop. Course change requests are not automatically granted, but are reviewed with respect to your long-range academic program, as discussed with an advisor, and the limitations of the established class schedule. Ordinarily, any changes must take place within the first two weeks of a term, and all changes must be approved by the Academic Dean’s office.

  • Does Deerfield comply with NCAA student-athlete requirements?

    2 people found this helpful

    Deerfield is highly conscious of the needs of its student-athletes, and offers a wide range of NCAA eligible classes. The College Advising Office and Deerfield coaches are accustomed to assisting students seeking to play sports in college, and they are experienced in guiding students through the recruiting process. They will work with students to be sure they meet the NCAA requirements, and are in the best position possible to be recruited.  Mrs. Thiel in the Academic Dean’s office is our liaison to the NCAA compliance center and she can be a good source of guidance and information.

  • How do I register for standardized tests?

    1 person found this helpful

    • SAT: College Board website with school code 220685
    • ACT: ACT website with center code 234820
    • AP: via Mrs. Thiel, the testing coordinator
    • PSAT: all sophomores and juniors are automatically registered
  • I have made my course selections in DAinfo, but need to send the Registrar a message to help clarify my decisions. Does this page have a place to do that?

    1 person found this helpful

    Look for the “Add/Edit Course Registration Comment” link at the top of the page.  That will open a dialog within the page which allows you to enter comments.

  • Who do I contact if I have questions about my course requests?

    1 person found this helpful

    For current students, talk to your faculty advisor.  For new students, 9th and 10th graders should contact Ms. Hemphill, 11th graders should contact Dr. Hills, and 12th graders/PGs should contact the college advising office.

  • I want to double up in science this year. How do I make a second science selection when requesting courses in DAinfo?

    1 person found this helpful

    At the bottom of the Course Requests page there is an “Add a course” icon on the left. Click that button and a new row will appear. Any course added under “Add a course” will be added to your requests. Please use “Add a course” again to enter your alternate.

  • Is there a best browser to use for course signups?

    1 person found this helpful

    No, but the course signup page in DAinfo does not work at all in Internet Explorer 7.

  • How do students request courses?

    New students submit their course requests using the online Course Request tool on DAinfo. Returning students submit their requests online in conjunction with their advisor. Please refer to the course request guidelines for year-by-year information that will assist you with making your choices. In early summer, department chairs will review and consider your requests and, in mid-August, we will send you your final schedule.

  • How do I decide which classes to request?

    A good place to start is our Course Requests section on the website. You can also consult your adviser.

  • When I’m requesting courses, what kind of comments should I make in the comments box?

    Anything that you need the Registrar to know about your requests.  As an example: You have spoken to a department chair or an advisor about your course requests and something in that conversation potentially affects your schedule.

  • How do I use the priority feature when requesting courses in DAinfo?

    Let’s say you are a senior and have prioritized your 6 English requests with “Creative Nonfiction” as your first priority request. You decide instead to request “Jazz Age” as your first priority instead. You can either change the priority of “Jazz Age” to priority 1 then watch the other English requests get bumped down in priority order. You can also use the “Top” icon to move “Jazz Age” to your first choice.

  • Does studying abroad require proficiency in a foreign language?

    3 people found this helpful

    Language requirements vary by program. Consult individual program web sites for more information.