Students at Deerfield live in 16 dorms, ranging in size from John Williams House, housing 16 students and two faculty members, to Johnson-Doubleday, a modern complex, housing 78 students and six faculty members and their families. About 85 percent of students live in single rooms.

Dorm life is based on the corridor where between 12 and 14 students live with a faculty resident. Faculty are involved in the lives of the students who live on their “halls” both formally and informally and are a daily presence in their lives. Along with their good humor and ability to deal with diverse demands on their time, faculty residents shape the familial atmosphere found across the Deerfield campus.

There are 16 dorms at Deerfield: Barton, Bewkes, DeNunzio, Dewey, Field, Harold  Smith, John Louis, John Williams, Johnson-Doubleday, Louis-Marx, Mather, McAlister, Pocumtuck, Rosenwald-Shumway, Scaife, and a New Dorm. Students are housed by gender in dorms comprised of freshmen and sophomores or juniors and seniors. Freshmen and sophomores live with senior proctors on their corridors. Returning students register their housing preferences each spring with the Student Life Office.


Named for advertising great and congressman Bruce Barton, this boys dorm was dedicated in 1962 and was paid for in part through donations from the class of 1935.

Bruce Barton was known for “outstanding  services to America and to Deerfield Academy.” In the late 1920s, he began writing fundraising letters for the academy. This campaign provided a generous base to Deerfield Academy’s foundation,and funded the construction of 14 of the Academy’s buildings.


Bewkes House (formerly known as Davenport House and then Chapin House) was built in 1858 by Arthur W. Hoyt, who hoped to create a social center in Deerfield. The Italianate architecture made it perhaps the most elaborate house in town for its time. The Academy purchased the house in 1926 for $16,500 from Alice G. Shumway, daughter of William Davenport. The building was moved from its original site in 1951 to make room for Scaife. It was moved again in 1998 to its current location on Academy Lane.

Bewkes is a junior and senior boys’ dorm.


This dorm was built on the site of the Old Barn (which was torn down in 1976) and given as a gift to the Academy by former Deerfield Trustee Ralph DeNunzio and his wife Jean, in honor of their three sons who attended Deerfield.

The dorm opened in September 1989 and is a boys’ dorm.


This dorm is dedicated to Robert ’49 and Harriet Dewey in gratitude of their long service to the Academy. Mr. Dewey served as the President of the Board of Trustees from 1995-2000. Dewey House was designed by William and Geoffrey Platt and modeled after a colonial home in Charleston, NH. Completed in September 1948, Dewey houses the Academy Health Center and junior and senior boys.


Named in honor of Henry A. Field, long time trustee and member of the class of 1887, Field is located adjacent to Historic Deerfield’s Old Burial Ground at the west end of campus. One of the “twin dormitories,” it was built 1957 with McAlister and was modeled after the popular Colonial style of the time, which was also used to design Scaife, Mather, and Pocumtuck. Field is a boys’ dorm.

Harold Webster Smith

Because Harold Smith stands next to Deerfield’s oldest dormitory, John Williams, great care was taken to give it a classic New England feel. Despite its historic appearance, it was actually built in 2002. The dorm was given to the Academy by Mr. and Mrs. Winthrop Smith Jr. ’67, the Winthrop and Margaret Smith Family Foundation, Mrs. Harold Webster Smith W’29, and Mr. and Mrs. James C. Smith ’67 in honor of Harold Webster Smith ’29. It is a girls’ dorm.

JohnLouis2John Louis

Built in conjunction with Louis Marx, John Louis opened in 1998 and is a girls’ dorm.

John Williams

Built in 1760, this is the oldest dorm on campus and was the location of the original “Deerfield Door.” In 2002, during the construction of Harold Smith, the original door was removed to allow for its preservation and viewing in Old Deerfield, and an exact replica was crafted and installed in its place. John Williams is a boys’ dorm.

Johnson-Doubleday (The Ninth Grade Village)

“J-D” was dedicated in 1981. The strong horizontal lines of its architecture were created to mimic the rambling nature of its colonial neighbors in Old Deerfield.

Doubleday, the west wing of the dorm was built through a gift from Nelson Doubleday Jr. ’51, the vice president and owner of the 1986 World Series champion New York Mets.

Johnson-Doubleday houses ninth grade boys and girls.

Louis Marx

Built in conjunction with John Louis Dormitory, Louis Marx opened in 1998 as a boys’ dorm.


This dorm was built in 1953. Like its predecessors, Scaife and Pocumtuck, Mather fits in beautifully with the Colonial architecture of Old Deerfield.

Mather is a girls’ dorm.


This dorm was built in concert with Field in 1957. Named for William H. McAlister, it was funded by the estate of his daughter, Amelie McAlister Upshur, who donated to many educational institutions as part of her will. Constructed on the site of the old Ball House, “Mac” is a girls’ dorm.


Built on the site of the old Pocumtuck Hotel, “Poc” was built in 1956. A new addition was constructed in 2000.

Pocumtuck is a girls’ dorm.


Both halves of Rosenwald-Shumway were completed and opened in 1989. Rosenwald, a gift of John ’48 and Pat Rosenwald, is a girls’ residence. The dorm–a gift of Forrest ’45 and Patsy Shumway–was built “to honor the academy people who made our half century association with the school so pleasurable.” It is a girls’ dorm.


This dorm was built in 1952, along with Pocumtuck and Mather, with an eye towards maintaining the architectural integrity of Historic Deerfield. Located on Main Street, Scaife is home to tenth grade boys.


Built in 2012, this dorm houses junior and senior boys. Formerly known simply as “New Dorm,” in 2019 this residence was renamed in honor of former Head of School Dr. Margarita O’Byrne Curtis upon her retirement after 13 years of service to the Academy.