Athletic Events

Soccer: Varsity Boys lost to Brunswick

Game report submitted by Camil Blanchet (2014)

As the sun faded and precipitation began to fall on Deerfield’s Southern fields, the boy’s varsity soccer squad took the field for warm ups against a formidable opponent in the Brunswick School. After dropping the first game of the season against Suffield, we looked forward to another chance to prove our identity. Deerfield came out strong, stringing together of series of possessions and commanding the field. After several balls were deflected out of Brunswick’s box, Deerfield’s spark out of the gates paid off. The ball found Steven Baisch (’14) in the 11th minute and Baisch made sure it found the back of the net with a well-struck ball; 1-0 Deerfield. Everything was looking up for the Green and White.

Unfortunately Brunswick woke up and started applying pressure of its own. In a quick turn of events, Brunswick’s S. Foster tucked away a goal after receiving a through ball. At the 17th minute the score was 1-1. The game went back and forth for the majority of the first half, neither team establishing a clear edge on the other. In the final minutes of the first half S. Foster struck again in similar fashion. Despite a strong start, a couple of defensive breakdowns saw Deerfield down 2-1 going into the break.

The first twenty minutes of the second half were played much like the first half, neither team establishing an edge. Brunswick’s attempts at goal were thwarted by the likes of Cole Horton (’14) and Kyle Burns (’14), occasionally reaching a composed Max Chesky (’15) in net.  Zz Salvador (’14) distributed balls from the midfield out to the flanks with some success, but Brunswick’s defense held strong, keeping balls out of their defensive third. Time wore on and Deerfield could not establish the necessary offense.

The last twenty minutes culminated in a multitude of Deerfield chances from within the 18. Cole Horton, Ben Garfinkel (’15), and Brendan O’Connell (’16) all had prime scoring opportunities but Brunswick’s goalie fought them off. Deerfield could not find a way to put another goal in the net and Deerfield’s best twenty minutes slowly turned into our most frustrating. The final seconds wound down with the score still 2-1 Brunswick.

All and all it was a tough loss for Deerfield, one that we would like to have back. Deerfield will get right back to training, with an emphasis on sustained pressure for all ninety minutes. Taft comes to town on Wednesday.