Common Rooms and Shared Spaces
Particularly in shared spaces, students should be aware of and receptive to the feelings and needs of others. Some group activities can be isolating or offensive (regardless of intent) and may create an unwelcome or threatening environment. For example, misogynist and racist themes are pervasive in some video games and music. Requests from others to adjust behavior should be respected.
EMPTY OR OPEN ROOMS
On occasion, dormitories may contain rooms that are unassigned, empty, or await the return of a student who is away. Such rooms are off-limits.
DORMITORY ROOM GUIDELINES
- The following items are not permitted in student rooms: refrigerators, televisions, projectors, offensive posters, slogans or pictures, liquor bottles and/or beer cans, or pets (except fish).
- Possession of gaming systems in individual – not common – rooms is discouraged as it tends to prevent effective study habits for the student(s) who live(s) there.
- Furniture provided by the Academy must remain in student rooms; requests for removal may be made to the Student Life Office.
- Beds may not be dismantled nor may they be elevated on desks and bureaus.
- Lofts are prohibited unless they are permanently installed by the Academy.
- When rooms are unoccupied, all lights should be turned off.