Naviance will be a critical and helpful tool in your college search; this page describes steps of the college process that you will need to complete through Naviance. It is an excellent college research resource for students and parents, and the College Advising Office will submit all transcripts and recommendations electronically via Naviance to help streamline the application process– as well as to be more environmentally conscious! Students will submit applications primarily through the Common Application; after August 1, seniors will need to link their Common App and Naviance accounts so colleges will receive all application materials together. (See the bottom of this page for details.)
Register for Naviance Family Connection (if you have not already done so!)
- Email Ms. McCarvill if you need a registration code. Juniors and junior parents will all receive personal Naviance accounts by the middle of the student’s junior year.
- Go to Naviance, and bookmark this page! Note: You must use your Deerfield email address as your username.
Update the list of colleges you’re considering. Under “colleges I’m thinking about,” you should enter the list of colleges and universities that you’re currently considering. This may change frequently over the course of junior year and the subsequent summer, and should be settled at some point senior fall. Add and delete colleges as often as you’d like as you consider your options. To add colleges:
- Click on “add to this list”
- Click on “lookup” and search for the college you want to add. If the college is not on the list, use the search function or browse by alpha.
- Click on “add colleges” once you’ve entered all of the schools you want to add (if you do not do this step, the colleges will not be added to your list!)
- To delete colleges, check the box in front of the college’s name, and click “remove from list”
Review options. Once you sign in, you’ll see the options available to you as tabs at the top of the screen. To move from one section to another, click the links. The “Colleges” and “About Me” tabs are the sections you will use regularly.
- About Me – this section allows you to store information about your college process and track the list of colleges you’re considering and eventually applying to.
- Colleges – this section allows you to research colleges (see below)
A few notes about the “my profile” section: The GPA listed for returning students is through junior year; new students will not have a GPA. Test scores will be updated for all students as new test scores are received from College Board/ACT.
Research Colleges: You can use Naviance Family Connection to help you research college opportunities.
- College Search allows you to search for colleges based on specific criteria
- College Lookup lets you look up specific colleges, where you can review college information, see statistics about Deerfield applications to that college, and link to the college’s website.
- College Compare shows Deerfield application statistics for a selection of colleges
- Scattergrams charts four years of Deerfield admission activity at specific colleges.
Discuss your plans. As you do your research and make your college plans, be sure to touch base regularly with your college advisor. Your college advisor has access to your account. Any questions? Ask your College Advisor!
In August or September of your senior year, complete the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) section on the Common Application website. You should waive your right to see your teachers’ letters of reference. You must have confidence the teachers you ask to write on your behalf will be fair and accurate in recommending you in a positive light to college. Colleges tend to take the recommendation more seriously when rights have been waived, and they know the recommendation is secure and confidential. Once the FERPA waiver is completed, log into Naviance and go to the “Colleges I’m Applying to” list in the “Colleges” tab and enter your Common Application username and password. This information is used only for the purpose of electronic submission of your recommendation forms and transcripts to colleges.