Unifying these three areas of exploration enhances opportunities for students and further define’s Deerfield’s commitment to character education. The CSGC will help in preparing students “for leadership in a rapidly changing world that requires global understanding, environmental stewardship, and dedication to service.”
In addition to the programs currently available through Global Studies, Sustainability, and Community Service, the CSGC is expanding efforts in the following areas:
- Student Leadership and Professional Development: Provides training for student leaders, public speaking, grant writing, conflict resolution. Creates a space for teams of teachers to integrate global and sustainability issues into their classes and develop service learning opportunities.
- Community Outreach: Provides a space to establish partnerships with local and international organizations that share common interests and goals.
- Experiential Learning: Supports experiential learning opportunities (e.g., field trips, alternate & independent studies, capstone courses) by mentoring students, standardizing risk management procedures, and sharing best practices.
- Innovation Lab Support: Brings our global, service, and sustainability efforts together with science/tech initiatives, interdisciplinary collaboration, and faculty professional development.
- Academic Co-curricular Programs: Manages student groups such as Model UN, Debate, and Robotics.
The Center celebrates student and faculty work, engages in conversations about local and global issues, and hosts visiting speakers, scholars, and educators for workshops and conferences. It serves as a resource for students seeking grants, global opportunities, service projects, and mentoring. Transitioning from three separate initiatives to one collaborative Center allows for strategic alignment of resources and clearer prioritization of short and long term goals.