Academic Year 2020-21
- Six graded courses during the school year, two per term.
- Participation in a cocurricular program each term.
- Health Seminar; taken in 9th and 10th grade as an additional pass/fail course.
- A student in good standing shall be eligible for a Deerfield diploma upon successful completion of course load and applicable subject requirements. Successful completion includes proper attendance and a passing course-end grade.
All students* are required to take:
- An English course is required of 9th, 10th, 11th, and one-year 12th graders and PGs. Doubling up in any year does not satisfy another year’s requirement.
- Completion through the third level of mathematics (Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II).
- Completion through the third level of one foreign language. (Students for whom English is a second language may request to satisfy this requirement with their native language.)
- Two courses of history: one course of non-U.S. taken in either 9th or 10th grade; and one course of U.S. History, usually taken in the 11th grade.
- Two courses of laboratory science.
- Equivalent to two courses of visual or performing arts (three and four-year students only). For AY21, a full term course is equivalent as are two half-term courses.
- One course of philosophy or religious studies (three and four-year students only). For AY21, a half-term course fulfills the requirement.
*Entering 9th and 10th graders must fulfill all requirements. Students who enter Deerfield as 11th or 12th graders are expected to fulfill graduation requirements as best they can. The Academic Dean’s Office will approve all exceptions.