All students are required to take:
- Five graded courses during each term of their Deerfield careers. Students may also choose to take Visual and Performing Arts courses as 6th courses pass/fail, or petition to take a sixth graded course.
- A full year of English is required of 9th, 10th, 11th, and one-year 12th graders and PGs. Two-, three- and four-year 12th graders are required to take 2 terms of English. Doubling up in any year does not satisfy another year’s requirement.
- Three years of mathematics (Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II)
- Three years of one foreign language. (Students for whom English is a second language may request to satisfy this requirement with their native language.)
- Two years of history: one year of non-U.S. taken in either 9th or 10th grade; and one year of U.S. History, usually taken in the 11th grade.
- Two years of laboratory science.
- Two terms of visual or performing Arts (three and four-year students only).
- One term of philosophy or religious studies (three and four-year students only).
- Health (one year in 9th grade and one term in 10th grade; taken as a sixth, pass-fail course; required of three- and four-year students only)
A student in good standing shall be eligible for a Deerfield diploma upon successful completion of course load and applicable subject requirements. Successful completion includes proper attendance and a passing course-end grade.
Entering 9th and 10th graders must fulfill all requirements. Students who enter Deerfield as 11th or 12th graders are expected to fulfill graduation requirements as best they can. The Academic Dean’s Office will approve all exceptions.
In addition to completing the academic requirements listed above, participation in a a cocurricular program each term is required of all students.
A four-year planning worksheet is available as a PDF to assist in visualizing a suitable four-year course of study.