All students are required to take:
- Five graded courses during each term of their Deerfield careers. Students may also choose to take some Visual and Performing Arts courses as 6th courses pass-fail, or petition to take a sixth graded course.
- A full year of English is required of 9th, 10th, 11th, and one-year 12 graders and PGs. Two-, three- and four-year 12 graders are required to take 2 terms of English. Doubling up in any one year does not satisfy another year’s requirement.
- Three years of mathematics (Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II)
- Three years of one foreign language.*
- *Students for whom English is a second language may request a waiver of this requirement.
- Two years of history: one year of non-U.S. taken in either 9th or 10th grade; and one year of U.S. History, usually taken in the 11th grade.
- Two years of laboratory science.
- Two terms of Visual/Performing Arts (three and four-year students only).
- One term of Philosophy or Religion (three and four-year students only).
- One term of Health Issues (taken in 10th grade as a sixth, non-credit course; required of three and four-year students only)
A student in good standing shall be eligible for a Deerfield diploma upon successful completion of all courses.
Depending on the grade level when entering Deerfield, students must complete all requirements. While students who enter Deerfield as 11th or 12th graders are not strictly held to these requirements, the school believes they offer appropriate guidelines and expects all students to fulfill them as best they can.
In addition to completing the academic requirements listed above, participation in athletics, theater, community service, or some significant afternoon activity or program each term is required of all students.
A four-year planning worksheet is available as a PDF to assist in visualizing a suitable four-year course of study.