Campus, Village, and Valley

Campus is built on the idea of community, which is central to life at Deerfield. Boarding and day students convene for cocurriculars and extra-curriculars, to pursue academics, arts, community service, and club activities—or just to head out for shopping or a movie. Inside the classroom—or out—Deerfield has a wide array of activities that complement one another and offer a chance for students to live a well balanced life. In addition to athletics, Deerfield’s co-curricular activities include community service, music, theater, and dance programs.

Village and Valley

Historic Deerfield

Deerfield Academy’s 330-acre campus is nestled at the center of the 18th-century historic village of Deerfield. The town’s main street has retained its history and charm over the past 200 years since Deerfield Academy was first founded, and the well-preserved village now operates in part as a museum.

The Valley

Deerfield’s beautiful campus sits in the midst of rich farmland and meadows, bordered by the hills of the Pocumtuck Range to the east and the Deerfield River to the west. The changing of seasons in this graceful corner of New England, from the brilliant colors of autumn to winter snows to the sudden green of spring, enriches the lives of the Academy’s students and faculty.

Local Culture

With Greenfield to the north, and the “Five Colleges” of Amherst, Smith, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and UMass 20 minutes to the south, the area is rich with cultural and intellectual resources, offering galleries, bookstores, restaurants, coffee houses, movie theaters, and a unique collection of shops.

Main School Building

Erected on the site of the former Dickinson High School and Deerfield Academy Building of 1878, the Main School Building was completed in 1931. It was designed by Charles Platt, and initially served as the classroom building for the entire school. After renovations in the 1980s, the building now houses history classrooms, the Admission Office, and many of Deerfield’s administrative offices, including:

The Caswell Library, located on the first floor, serves as the Admission waiting area. Mr. Boyden’s maxim, “Look up to the hills,” is inscribed above the fireplace.

Classroom Building

The Classroom Building is home to the Foreign Language Department. The building features:

  • 19 classrooms
  • Language lab
  • 160-seat auditorium
  • Student publication offices

Boyden Library

The Boyden Library supports the intellectual growth, personal exploration, and creative opportunities offered Deerfield Academy students by providing comfortable spaces for individual or group study, and a rich collection of books, Ebooks, research databases, periodicals, audio books, DVDs, and CDs that meets the diverse curriculum and leisure needs of students and faculty.

Research databases include Academic Search Premier, ProQuest Historical Newspapers, JSTOR, ARTstor, the Oxford English Dictionary, and many subject specialty databases. Staff are available during all open hours to assist students with their research and to provide instruction on the use of library materials and electronic resources. Librarians provide reference service, working extensively with individual students, and formal library instruction in partnership with faculty. Library programs encourage each student to develop an inquisitive and creative mind through habits of independent inquiry.

The goal of the library instruction program is to provide students with library research skills necessary to attain their academic goals at Deerfield, prepare them for using college and university libraries after they leave Deerfield, and promote lifelong learning in a society where information is organized in increasingly complex ways.

The library is named in honor of Frank L. Boyden, headmaster of Deerfield Academy from 1902-1968, and his wife Helen Childs Boyden, a chemistry and math teacher.  The library opened in 1968, the year that Mr. Boyden retired.

Arms Building

Initially “dedicated to science and industrial training,” the Arms Building was designed by Charles Platt in 1933 and donated by Jennie Maria Arms Sheldon. Mrs. Sheldon was a longtime friend of Mr. Boyden and a loyal benefactor of Deerfield Academy.

The Arms Building’s nine classrooms now serve the English and Philosophy & Religion departments.

Koch Center

Dedicated in the spring of 2007, the Koch Center is an 80,000 square-foot center for the study of sciencemathematics, and technology. The building includes:

  • A planetarium
  • 20 classrooms
  • Laboratory spaces
  • Dedicated space for independent research
  • Information technology and communications offices
  • 225-seat auditorium
  • An astronomy viewing terrace
  • A central atrium
  • cafe where students and faculty can gather