Below, you will find information about getting to campus, and listings for local resources such as hotels, restaurants, historic museums, and more.
If you are seeking directions to other schools for interscholastic sports events, you can find them here.
Getting to Deerfield
Getting to Deerfield
Online Mapping Systems and GPS
You can find directions to DA using Google or Bing Maps. In GPS systems, you can use any of the following: “7 Old Main Street,” “1 Albany Road,” or “1 Academy Lane.” You may also input our location using GPS coordinates 42º 32′ 43.8″ N, 72º 36′ 17.88″ W.
Deerfield Academy is located in western Massachusetts 30 miles north of Springfield and 5 miles south of Greenfield in “Historic Deerfield.”
From the South
Driving to the Academy from the south, take I-91 North to Massachusetts exit 24 and turn right at the end of the exit ramp. Head north on Routes 5 and 10 for five miles, turning left at the “Historic Deerfield” sign onto Main Street. Half a mile on the left is the Academy.
From the North
Driving from the north, take I-91 South to exit 25, and turn left at the end of the ramp. At the stop light, turn left onto Routes 5 and 10 and proceed north for approximately four miles. Turn left at the “Historic Deerfield” sign onto Main Street and proceed about a half mile to the Academy.
From the East
Driving from the east, take I-90 West (the Massachusetts Turnpike) to exit 4. Head north on I-91 and follow “from the south” directions above. Or take Route 2 west to I-91 South and follow “From the North” directions above.
From the West
Driving from the west, take I-90 East (the Massachusetts Turnpike) to exit 4. Head north on I-91 and follow “From the South” directions above. Or take Route 2 east to I-91 South and follow “From the North” directions above.
Parking at Deerfield
There are visitor parking signs located in front of the Main School building and in front of Ephraim Williams House. Parking is also allowed on Albany Road. During large events (or weekends), Security will direct you to designated parking areas.
Airline service to the area is through Bradley International Airport, which is outside Hartford, Connecticut, 55 miles south of Deerfield on I-91.
The Academy’s post office address is Deerfield, Massachusetts 01342. The school telephone number is 413-772-0241. The direct line to the Admission Office is 413-774-1400.
The Deerfield Inn Main St., Deerfield, MA, (413) 774-5587 (Pet-friendly, and offers a 10% discount to first-time visiting Deerfield Academy parents)
Quality Inn Northampton 117 Conz Street, Northampton, MA; (413) 586-1500
Clarion Hotel Route 91 S, Exit 18, Northampton, MA, (413) 586-1211
Courtyard by Marriott 423 Russell Street, Rte. 9, Hadley, MA, (413) 256-5454
Hampton Inn Hadley 24 Bay Road, Hadley, MA, (413) 586-4851
Hampton Inn Greenfield 184 Shelburne Road/Rt. 2, Greenfield, MA, (413) 773-0057
Holiday Inn Express 400 Russell Street, Rte. 9, Hadley, MA, (413) 582-0002
Hotel Northampton 36 King Street, Northampton, MA, (413) 584-3100 / (800) 547-3529
Howard Johnson Express 401 Russell Street, Rte. 9, Hadley, MA, (413) 586-0114
The Inn at Crumpin-Fox 71 Northfield Road, Bernardston, MA 01337, (413) 648-9131
Lord Jeffery Inn 30 Boltwood Avenue, Amherst, MA, (800) 742-0358
Comfort Inn 237 Russell Street, Rte. 9, Hadley, MA, (413) 584-9816
Red Roof Inn Routes 5 & 10, South Deerfield, MA, (413) 665-7161
University Lodge 345 N. Pleasant Street, Amherst, MA, (413) 256-8111
^ = DA visitor rate available.
Bed & Breakfasts
The Brandt House (10 min.) 29 Highland Ave., Greenfield, MA, (800) 235-3329, Steve Sears & John Labryssen, www.brandthouse.com
Bela’s B&B (15 minutes) 595 River Road, Deerfield, MA, (413) 522-6394, Bela Breslau, farm.shintaido.org/belabandb
The Greenfield Lion House (10 min.) 81 High St., Greenfield, MA 01301, (413) 774-1732, www.greenfieldlionhouse.com
Kenburn Orchards (20 min.) 1394 Mohawk Trail, Shelburne, MA, (413) 625-6116, Susan Flaccus, www.kenburnorchards.com
Allen House Victorian Inn (20 min.) 599 Main St., Amherst, MA, (413) 253-5000, Alan Zieminski, www.allenhouse.com
Hillside House (15 min.) 60 Masterson Rd., Whately, MA, (413) 665-5515, Julia & Ed Berman, www.hillsidehousebb.com
Penrose Victorian Inn (20 min.) 133 Main St., Haydenville, MA, (888) 268-7711, Nancy Zimmer, www.penroseinn.com
Ashley Graves House (10 min.) 121 N. Main St., Sunderland, MA, (413) 665-6656, Carole & Michael Skibiski, www.ashleygraveshouse.com
Shelburne House Bed & Breakfast (25 min.) 66 Colrain Shelburne Road, Shelburne, MA, (413) 625-9955, Elaine Hinze, www.shelburnehouse.com
The Country Cape (15 min.) 155 Haydenville Rd., Whately, MA, (413) 665-8523, Nancy & Gary Wilson, www.countrycapebb.com
The House in Pumpkin Hollow (25 min.) 173 Whately Road, Conway, MA, (413) 369-6007, Diane Poland, www.pumpkinhollowhouse.com
Sunnyside Farm (15 min.) 21 River Rd., Whately, MA, (413) 665-3113, Mary Lou Green
The Black Walnut Inn (20 min.) 1184 N. Pleasant St., Amherst, MA, (413) 549-5649, Dan Burbine, www.blackwalnutinn.com
Old Tavern Farm (10 min.) 817 Colrain Rd., Greenfield, MA, (413) 772-0474, The Sandersons, www.oldtavernfarm.com
The House on the Hill (10 min.) 330 Leyden Rd., Greenfield, MA, (413) 774-2070, Donna & Alain Mollard, www.thehouseonthehillbnb.com
Poetry Ridge Bed and Breakfast (10 min.) 55 Stone Ridge Lane, Greenfield, MA, (413) 773-5143, Errol & Mary Sorenson, www.rkotours.com
Mountain View Inn (25 min.) 146 North Hill Road, Conway, MA, (413) 369-4700, Joanie Schwartz & Kate O’Shea, www.mtviewbb.com
Amherst Inn (25 min.) 257 Main Street, Amherst, MA, (413) 253-5000, Alan Zieminski, www.allenhouse.com
West Winds (10 min.) 151 Smead Hill Road, Greenfield, MA, (413) 774-4025, Sandi Richardson, www.westwindsinn.com
The Owl’s Nest (25 min.) 161 Thompson Road, Conway, MA, (413) 625-2151, Caroline Chase (1BR apartment with full kitchen, private entrance)
Other local bed & breakfasts are available at www.fivecollegebb.com.
Below are some restaurants that are within 15 minutes of campus. You can see a more complete listing of local eateries here.
Yankee Candle Co., 25 Greenfield Rd., S. Deerfield; (413) 665-1277; American
219 South Street, Bernardston, MA; (413) 648-5200
Goten of Japan
Route 116, Sunderland; (413) 665-3628; Japanese Steak House
Hope and Olive
44 Hope Street, Greenfield; (413) 774-3150; Creative American
21 Bank Row, Greenfield; (413) 475-3570
10 Fiske Avenue, Greenfield; (413) 772-2531; Mexican
MRKT: Farm to Table
6B Elm Street, South Deerfield, MA; (413) 397-2190; New American
Ristorante Di Paolo
166 Avenue A, Turners Falls; (413) 863-4441; Italian
238 Main Street, Greenfield; (413) 773-8313; American
Thai Blue Ginger
298 Main Street, Greenfield; (413) 772-0921; Thai
The Blue Heron
112 N. Main Street, Sunderland; (413) 665-2102; Creative American
193 Chestnut Plain Rd., Whately; (413) 665-3044; American
723 Greenfield Rd., Deerfield; (413) 774-3606; Chinese
52 Main St., S. Deerfield; (413) 665-7068; American
Find information on local history, museums, inns, shopping and more at: www.historic-deerfield.org, www.memorialhall.mass.edu, www.deerfield-ma.org, www.dininginmass.com/413/greenfield.htm, www.noho.com, www.mountainfarmshadley.com, and www.hampshiremall.com.
Books, Music and Videos
- World Eye Bookshop, Greenfield, 772-2186
- Montague Book Mill, Montague, 367-0104
- FYE, Greenfield, 773-3600
- Downtown Sounds, Northampton, 586-0998, www.downtownsounds.com
- LaSalle Florists, Whately, 665-2653
- Stop & Shop, Greenfield, 774-6096
- Sigda Flower Shop, Greenfield, 773-5468
- Floral Affairs, Greenfield, 376-4233, www.floralaffairsofgreenfield.com
Activities and Pastimes
- Bicycle World, Greenfield, 774-3701
- Bicycles Unlimited, Greenfield, 772-2700, www.bikes-unlimited.com
- Flye Cycles, Sunderland, 665-0033, www.flyecycles.com
- French King Bowling Center, 423-3047, www.bowling4fun.com
- Western Mass Clubs: www.westernmassgolf.com/first.html
- Country Club of Greenfield, Greenfield, 772-0970
- Crumpin Fox, Bernardston, 648-9101
- Goodnow’s Chip and Putt, Shelburne Falls, 625-6107
- Meadows Golf Course, Greenfield, 773-9047
- Thomas Memorial Golf Club, Turners Falls, 863-8003
- Zoar Outdoor, 413-339-4010, www.zoaroutdoor.com
- Crab Apple White Water, 413-625-2288, www.crabappleinc.com
- Conditions, 413-499-7669
- Northfield Mountain (XC), 659-3713
- Berkshire East, 413-339-6617, www.berkshireeast.com
- WPVQ Country, www.wpvq.com
- WRSI, www.wrsi.com
- WFCR Public Radio, www.wfcr.org
- WMUA UMass Radio, wmua.org
- WHMP Rock, http://player.liquidcompass.net/WHMPAM
- House of Tickets, 736-8499
- Ticketworld, 785-5000, www.ticketworld.com
- Mass Mutual Center, 787-6610, www.massmutualcenter.com
- Mullins Center, UMass, 545-3001, www.mullinscenter.com
- Northampton Box Office, 800-THE-TICK
- Peter Pan, 800-343-9999, www.peterpanbus.com
- Greyhound, 800-231-2222, www.greyhound.com
- Amtrak, Springfield, 800-872-7245, www.amtrak.com
- Bradley International Airport, www.bradleyairport.com
- Logan Airport, www.massport.com/logan
- Pioneer Aviation, Turners Falls, 413-863-9391, www.airnav.com
- Seemo Shuttle, 800-908-2829, www.seemoshuttle.com
- Wrisley Limo Service, 665-4046
- The Limo Connection, 800-924-7067
- Exclusive Car Service, 413-534-3505
- Valley Transporter, 800-872-8752 or 413-253-1350, www.valleytransporter.com
- Thomas Transportation, 800-526-8143, www.thomastransportation.com
- Ace Cab, Greenfield, 773-9063
Public Bus Service
Peter Pan bus lines run through Deerfield, stopping at Savage’s Market (1/2 mile south of campus on Routes 5&10). Call 1-800-343-9999 or visit peterpanbus.com for schedules. Greyhound Bus: 1-800-231-2222 or online at greyhound.com.
The closest Amtrak station is in Amherst with trains to and from NYC once daily. Students often find Springfield’s schedule more convenient. Call 1-800-872-7245.
The closest international airport is Bradley International Airport, which services the Hartford, CT-Springfield, MA area. It is located 50 miles south of Deerfield. Logan Airport in Boston is a 2–3 hour drive. There are also several local airports that can handle small planes.
International students should always check the following before travel: passport expiration date, I–94 card expiration date (received at port of entry), signature from the Dean of Students on the second page of the I–20 form.
A variety of limosine, taxi, and shuttle services provide transport to the airport:
- Wrisley Limousine: 413-665-4046
- Limo Connection: 800-924-7067
- Poupon Limousine: 800-309-5466
- Exclusive Car Service: 413-534-3505
- Remillard Sedan: 413-586-1329
- About Town Taxi: 413-774-4000
- The Taxi: 413-584-6244
- Seemo Shuttle: 800-908-2829
- Valley Transporter: 800-872-8752
- Thomas Transportation: 800-526-8143