Laptop Use Agreement 2009-10
This agreement is made effective upon receipt of the computer, between Deerfield Academy (“Deerfield”), the student receiving the laptop (“Student”), and his/her parent(s) or legal guardian (“Parent”). The Student and Parent(s), in consideration of being provided with a laptop computer, software, and related materials (the “Computer”) for use while a student at Deerfield, hereby agree as follows:
Deerfield retains sole right of possession of the Computer and grants permission to the Student to use the Computer according to this agreement.
1.2 Transfer of Ownership
New Students enrolled for a minimum of 3 years – Ownership will be transferred to the Student at no charge after 3 years.
New Students enrolled for less than 3 years – Students departing (for any reason) prior to 3 years have the option to return the Computer to Deerfield Academy or purchase the machine. The purchase price will be based on the technology fee and the number of years in attendance at Deerfield Academy.
Continuing Students in the Class of 2010, 2011 or 2012 – Students already own the Computer under the previous laptop program agreement.
1.3 Equipment Provided
The actual equipment provided varies from year to year but efforts are made to keep all laptop configurations similar. All Computers include a DVD-RW/CD-RW, ample RAM and hard-disk space, an external hard-drive for data backup, software, and other miscellaneous items. Deerfield will retain records of the serial numbers of provided equipment.
1.4 Substitution of Equipment
In the event the Computer is inoperable, Deerfield has a limited number of spare laptops for use while the Computer is repaired or replaced. This agreement remains in effect for such a substitute. The Student is required to bring a Computer needing repair to the ITS Help Desk.
1.5 Responsibility for Electronic Data
The Student is solely responsible for any non-Deerfield installed software and for any data stored on the Computer. It is the sole responsibility of the Student to back up such data as necessary. Deerfield provides a means for backup along with directions but Deerfield does not accept responsibility for any such files or software.
2 Damage or Loss of Equipment
2.1 Warranty for Equipment Malfunction
Deerfield has purchased a three-year manufacturer’s warranty covering parts and labor. The warranty only covers damage to the computer caused by manufacturer’s defects. Families incur no additional charges for repairs covered by warranty.
2.2 Responsibility for Damage
The Student is responsible for maintaining a 100% working Computer at all times. The Student shall use reasonable care to ensure that the Computer is not damaged. Refer to the Standards of Care document, for a description of expected care. In the event of accidental damage not covered by the warranty, the Student and Parent will be billed a fee according to the following schedule:
- First incident – up to $200
- Second incident – up to $400
- Third incident – up to full cost of repair or replacement
Deerfield reserves the right to charge the Student and Parent the full cost for repair or replacement when damage occurs due to gross negligence. Examples of gross negligence include, but are not limited to:
- Leaving equipment in an insecure or vulnerable location.
- Lending equipment to someone other than one’s parents/guardians.
- Using equipment in an unsafe environment.
- Using the equipment in an unsafe manner.
2.3 Responsibility for Loss
In the event the Computer is lost or stolen, the Student and Parent will be billed the full cost of replacement. (Note: We strongly recommend that families pursue insurance on their own.)
2.4 Actions Required in the Event of Damage or Loss
Report the problem immediately to the ITS Help Desk. If the Computer is stolen or vandalized while not at Deerfield or at a Deerfield sponsored event, the Parent shall file a police report.
2.5 Technical Support and Repair
Deerfield does not guarantee that the Computer will be operable, but will make technical support, maintenance and repair available for all standard laptops.
3 Legal and Ethical Use Policies
3.1 Legal and Ethical Use
All aspects of Deerfield’s Technology Use Policy (see the Student Handbook) govern in accordance with this section.
3.3 File-sharing and File-sharing Programs
Installation and/or use of any Internet-based file-sharing tools is explicitly prohibited. File-sharing programs and protocols like BitTorrent, Limewire, Kazaa, Acquisition and others may not be used to facilitate the illegal sharing of copyrighted material (music, video and images).
3.4 Allowable Customizations
- The Student is permitted to alter or add files to customize the assigned Computer to his/her own working styles (i.e., background screens, default fonts, and other system enhancements).
- The Student is permitted to install software on the assigned Computer if it is legally owned and installed according to a license agreement, excepting any software known to cause system problems to the Computer. We strongly suggest that students minimize external installations since, if they cause system errors, the Computer will be restored to the original settings, and everything stored will be erased. Also, Deerfield will periodically conduct maintenance that will require the Student to re-install all non-Deerfield software and files. Software originally installed by Deerfield must remain on the Computer at all times.