The Memorial Building, designed by the firm of Geoffrey & William Platt of New York City, was opened in 1952. It was dedicated to Deerfield Alumni who lost their lives in World War II.
The Memorial Building is currently offline (re-opening August 2014), but has been home to:
- The Hilson and Russell Galleries
- The 700-seat Memorial Auditorium, also known as the “Large Aud”
- The 175-seat Reid Black Box Theater
- The Reed Fine Arts Center
- A dance studio
- The Campus Security office
The Memorial Building is currently under renovation and will add a new concert hall, art gallery, and acting lab, as well as a modernized recording studio, improved art spaces, greater auditorium capacity, and better building efficiency–enough to achieve a LEED rating. The new building scheduled to open in August of 2014.
Read more about the new building in the Deerfield Magazine feature He(ART).