The 120 members of the Deerfield faculty are dedicated to the education and personal development of young people. The intensity and totality of the boarding school experience forges relationships between teachers and students that are special and life-long.
There are many reasons faculty members commit to long teaching careers at Deerfield:
- The Student Body is very talented. As measured by the usual standards, they are academically very able. They are also excellent athletes, dancers, actors, musicians, debaters, and community servants. The competitiveness of admission to Deerfield insures that we enroll a breadth of talent and diversity as well as good citizens of the community.
- The Teaching Faculty is exceptional. With few openings every year and many applicants, the faculty is strong and stable. Seventy-one percent have advanced degrees, and all are involved in every aspect of the school. Given the totality of life at Deerfield, a lifestyle that was formerly dominated by committed bachelors has become one very attractive to faculty families. There are over 50 pre-adolescent faculty children.
- Teaching Resources are impressive. Every department has ample facilities and physical resources in addition to a common office. All manner of technology is available in the classroom and all offices and faculty dormitory apartments are wired for Internet access. These resources are constantly expanding as exemplified by the Koch Center for Science, Mathematics, and Technology.
- The Professional Development Opportunities are significant. Funds are available for professional development activity during the school year as well as for summer study. Graduate work is generously supported. Discipline and course specific professional development is ongoing with weekly department meetings.
- School Traditions are an important part of life at Deerfield. A number of annual school rituals highlight the year: the opening ceremony of introduction, Convocation, declamation contests, school athletic rivalries, family-style meals, and a dress code. These combine to form the fabric of the community.
- The Co-Curricular Program is very strong. Deerfield’s athletic teams, both male and female, have achieved notable success. Music, acting, and dance performances play to standing room only crowds. Community service takes place all over Franklin County and is appreciated by service agencies in the area.
- Residential Life is an important part of the life of every faculty member. More than 40% live in dormitory apartments, but all faculty members work in the dormitories in some capacity. Because nearly all of Deerfield’s dormitories have been constructed over the past 25 years, the apartments are substantial. Two, three, and four bedroom apartments provide sufficient space for families, so very little moving around is necessary, thus the school has important stability in residential life.
- The Physical Plant is excellent. The dormitories, houses, classroom buildings, Dining Hall, athletic facilities, library, and performing arts center are very attractive and in great condition.