Care packages to help your child to ward off those mid-winter blues!

Being hours away from your Deerfield child does not mean that you can’t show that you care.  It is fairly easy to send your child a care package, especially as those stressful tests and long winter nights prevail. I have found it easy to send care packages to help ease those mid-winter and mid-term blues.

The US Postal Service has medium and large priority mail packages that have no weight limit and get there in 2-3 days for a set price  ($12.35 and $16.85). I have found that it is easy to pack these up with various items that your child might miss or need from home such as:

• Special shampoo and other toiletries
  • Socks and gloves
  • Special school supplies
  • Mail and magazines sent to home
  • Tea and hot chocolate packets
  • Favorite snacks or power bars
  • Baked goodies

You can even use local newspapers to help pad the box!

As for the baked goodies I have found several things that mail fairly easily.  It is easy to send banana, cranberry and pumpkin breads (just use the mixes and add special nuts, dried fruits, and chocolate chips), as well as cookie bars, brownies and even birthday cakes! If you are sending chocolate chip or M& M cookies, it is easier to send as a cookie pie (I use the disposable foil tins from the store) as individual cookies tend to crumble. As for sending cakes, I have made them in the disposable tin, un-iced, and sent the icing in a separate Ziploc bag or bowl along with the decorative icings in a can and those sugar decorations for a “decorate your own cake” (iced cakes don’t send well as the icing slides off the cake!).

I hope this gives you some ideas on how to help your Deerfield son or daughter make it through–and maybe even thrive–during the next few weeks!

What is the Deerfield Parents Network? | College Advising Meets with Class 2015 Parents