The deans are the go-to resource for any issues students face while at Deerfield. Students should feel free to be in touch with the deans either via email or in person. Please keep in mind the specific roles of the different deans (listed in the tabs below) to be sure to contact the office that will be most well-equipped to help you.
The Office of the Academic Dean is responsible for all aspects of academic life at Deerfield. The Academic Dean is Peter Warsaw. The Assistant Academic Dean is Sheryl Cabral. Lydia Hemphill serves as Director of Studies.
Responsibilities of the Office of the Academic Dean include:
- Management of the Curriculum
- Course registration and scheduling – overseen by the Registrar, Diana Kocot
- Reviewing and approving schedule change requests
- Holding teachers accountable to Academy guidelines
- Ensuring NCAA compliance – overseen by NCAA Compliance Officer Vita Thiel
- Overseeing the academic honesty disciplinary process
- Making sure that students meet their graduation requirements
- Standardized test coordination – overseen by Testing Coordinator Vita Thiel
Each class is assigned a dean who provides more personalized assistance to the students in their classes. These deans are part of the Dean of Students Office, and share similar responsibilities to the Dean of Students. For smaller issues, such as clearing APs and other non-disciplinary requests, students should be in touch with their class dean instead of the Dean of Students.
The freshman and sophomore class and day student dean is Kevin Kelly.
The junior and senior class dean is Toby Emerson.
Dean of Faculty
The Dean of Faculty Office is responsible for all matters relating to the Academy’s faculty. If a student or employee has any concerns specifically relating to a faculty member, they should direct them to the Dean of Faculty.
Dean of Students
The Dean of Students Office oversees all aspects of student life at the Academy. There is no more direct link between students and the administrative faculty than the deans, who are in close contact with both parties at all times, and are always available to talk with students about any issues they face at Deerfield.
Responsibilities of the Dean of Students include: