To be eligible to petition for pursuit of excellence, students must:
- Remain in good academic standing;
- Maintain solid citizenship;
- Demonstrate extraordinary accomplishment in their areas of excellence;
- Receive invitations to pursue extraordinary opportunities.
In petitioning, students must establish:
- In what ways an event furthers their development of excellence;
- What they have done to qualify for the opportunity;
- That the opportunity has resulted from a rigorous selection process;
- That there is no way to engage in the opportunity without missing school.
Interested students should petition by filling out the Pursuit of Excellence form on their DAinfo page. The form should be completed as soon as an opportunity arises: at least three (3) days in advance and, ideally, ten (10) days prior to the event. The Curriculum Committee, which meets on Mondays, reviews all petitions. The Office of the Academic Dean notifies students of decisions and, when petitions are approved, notifies classroom teachers. Students are expected to make up all missed work without requesting extra help from teachers.
Exceptions to the above may be granted at the discretion of the Curriculum Committee.