Math Placement Test
The goal of the mathematics department is to place each student into the most challenging class in which he/she can be successful. At the same time, it is essential to ascertain that a student has a good understanding of concepts from the previous course before moving on to the next course.
All incoming students are required to take a written Mathematics Placement Test.
The Math Placement Test will be mailed to newly accepted students early in May and should be returned to Sheryl Cabral, Chair of the Mathematics Department, no later than May 27. Students will get a placement test for their perviously completed math course (students who have completed Algebra I receive an Algebra I placement test, students who have completed Geometry receive a Geometry placement test, etc.).
In instances where it is not easy to discern which mathematics courses a student has taken from the transcript, a student may be asked to complete multiple placement tests. Students also receive, in the mailing, a mathematics course request form that should be returned with the test. Mrs. Cabral will grade all placement tests in June and place each student in the appropriate course, based on the test score, teacher recommendation, student request, and SSAT score.
If the placement is the same as the course that the student requested, the student and his/her parents will be informed by e-mail. If the placement is not the same, Mrs. Cabral will call the student and his/her family to discuss the result.
New seniors and post-graduates are placed in consultation with their college advisors.
If students need additional information, or have questions, please contact Mrs. Cabral.
French and Spanish Placement Tests
If students who have already studied French or Spanish decide to continue studying one of these languages next year, we ask that they take a placement test to help us place them at the right level.
We need the placement test to be an accurate reflection of students’ abilities. As a result, students should not undertake any special preparations for it, and should carefully follow the instructions at the start of the test.
The placement test is only available online. Please review the instructions for taking this test, and please submit the completed placement test before June 1. As soon as we receive it, a member of the language department will correct it and register that student for the appropriate language level.
Students will be able to find their final placement decision online beginning July 15.
See directions below for the placement.
PLEASE NOTE: Once students have opened the exam, they must take it. They cannot start it and then return at a later date. Students will have 2 hours to complete AND submit their test.
It is strongly recommended that students take the test using Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Internet Explorer. Other browsers will not support some of the test features.
If the Internet connection should fail, the computer crash, or any other technical issue should arise that prevents from the completion of the test, the student must contact the Academic Dean’s Office (413-774-1470) to help them reconnect to the test and complete it.
- In order to login to the test, students MUST log into their Deerfield email account and change their password. Students will not be able to login to the test until they choose a new password.
- The French & Spanish Placement Test uses a secure pop-up window. Pop-up blockers MUST be tured off in order to successfully take the test.
- Your User ID: The same as student’s email username
- Your Password: The same as student’s email password
Taking the Test
- Read all directions on the testing site and on the test, thoroughly.
- Click on the link for the appropriate language test (French, Spanish).
- After answering each page of questions click ‘NEXT’ at the bottom of the screen to move to the next set of questions. Students may go back and forth between pages of questions during the time allotted for the test.
- When students have completed the test, click on ‘SUBMIT ALL and FINISH’ at the bottom of the page. Students will be asked to verify that they wish to submit the test. Click ‘OK’ to finalize the test submission.
Remember: Once students have opened this exam, they have two hours to complete and submit it!
- When students have submitted the test, they can click on the ‘LOGOUT’ button at the top right corner of the screen.
- Login to the French & Spanish Placement Test.
- Click on the Grades link on the left side of the screen (under Administration).
- Scores translate as follows:
|1.0 – Language Level I
||4.0 – Language Level IV
|2.0 – Language Level II
||4.5 – Language Level IV Honors
|2.5 – Language Level II Honors
||5.0 – Language Level V
|3.0 – Language Level III
||5.5 – Language Level V Honors
|3.5 – Language Level III Honors
||6.0 – Language Level VI Honors
If students have any questions or concerns, please email the Academic Dean