Math Placement Test
The goal of the mathematics department is to place each student into the most challenging class in which s/he can be successful. At the same time, it is essential to ascertain that a student has a good understanding of concepts from the previous course before moving on to the next course.
All incoming students are required to take a written Mathematics Placement Test.
The Math Placement Test will be mailed to students early in May and should be returned to Sheryl Cabral, Chair of the Mathematics Department, no later than May 27.
- Students who have completed Algebra I or Geometry receive an Algebra I placement test.
- Students who have completed Algebra II receive an Algebra II placement test.
- Students who have completed Precalculus receive a Precalculus placement test.
- Finally, students who have completed Calculus receive a Calculus placement test.
In some instances where it is not easy to discern which mathematics courses a student has taken from the transcript, the student may be asked to complete two or even three placement tests. In the same mailing, students also receive a mathematics course request form that should be returned with the test. Mrs. Cabral will grade all placement tests in June and, based on the test score, teacher recommendation, student request and SSAT score, place each student in the appropriate course.
If the placement is the same as the course that the student requested, the student and his/her parents will be informed by e-mail. If the placement is not the same, Mrs. Cabral will call the student and his/her family to discuss the result.
New seniors and post-graduates are placed in consultation with their college advisors.
If you need additional information, or have questions, please contact Mrs. Cabral.
French and Spanish Placement Tests
Many of you have already studied some French or Spanish prior to coming to Deerfield. If you decide to continue studying one of these two languages next year, we ask for your cooperation in helping us place you at the right level.
In order to develop a clear understanding of your language skills, we need the placement test to be an accurate reflection of your real abilities. As a result, you should not undertake any special preparations for it, and you should carefully follow the instructions at the start of the test.
The placement test is only available online. Please review the instructions for taking this test, and please submit the completed placement test before June 1. As soon as we receive it, a member of the language department will correct it and register you for the appropriate language level.
You will be able to find your final placement decision online beginning July 15.
See directions below for retrieving your placement.
PLEASE NOTE: Once you open the exam, you must take it. You cannot start it and then return at a later date. You will have 2 hours to complete AND submit it.
It is strongly recommended that you take the test using Mozilla Firefox or Microsoft Internet Explorer. Other browsers will not support some of the test features.
If your Internet connection should fail, your computer crash, or any other technical issue should arise that prevents you from completing the test, you must contact the Academic Dean’s Office (413-774-1470) to help you reconnect to the test to complete it. The Academic Dean’s Office will assess the situation and contact the appropriate person to have your exam reset.
Before You Begin
- In order to login to the test, you MUST log into your Deerfield email account and change your password. You will not be able to login to the test until you choose a new password.
- The French & Spanish Placement Test uses a secure pop-up window. You MUST turn off pop-up blockers in order to successfully take the test.
Your Login Information
- Your User ID is: The same as your email username
- Your Password: The same as your email password
- Read all directions on the testing site and on the test thoroughly.
- Click on the link for the appropriate language test (French, Spanish).
- After answering each page of questions click ‘NEXT’ at the bottom of the screen to move to the next set of questions. You may go back and forth between pages of questions during the time allotted for the test.
- When you have completed the test, click on ‘SUBMIT ALL and FINISH’ at the bottom of the page. You will be asked to verify that you wish to submit your test. Click ‘OK’ to finalize your test submission.
Remember: Once you open this exam, you have two hours to complete and submit it!
- When you have submitted your test, click on the ‘LOGOUT’ button at the top right corner of the screen.
Retrieving Your Placement
- Login to the French & Spanish Placement Test.
- Click on the Grades link on the left side of the screen (under Administration).
- Scores translate as follows:
|1.0 – Language Level I
||4.0 – Language Level IV
|2.0 – Language Level II
||4.5 – Language Level IV Honors
|2.5 – Language Level II Honors
||5.0 – Language Level V
|3.0 – Language Level III
||5.5 – Language Level V Honors
|3.5 – Language Level III Honors
||6.0 – Language Level VI Honors
- After checking your placement, click on the ‘LOGOUT’ button at the top right corner of the screen.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email the Academic Dean
and we will be happy to offer you additional guidance.